Meanwhile, in the commonwealth of Virginia, HB 516 is currently sailing through state legislature. What began as one mother’s outraged response to her 17-year-old son’s AP English assignment–reading Beloved by Toni Morrison–has morphed into a bill which would require school districts to do three things: flag any “sexually explicit” assigned material, allow parents to review all assigned readings to assess perceived levels of sexual explicitness, and finally, require teachers to provide alternate readings/avenues of study for any students whose parents deem particular content too inappropriate.
Brian Etling is an intern for The Millions. He reads and resides in North Carolina. Brian can be found on Twitter @jbetling, and in the real world behind the counter of Scuppernong Books in Greensboro, NC.
More From Curiosities
- Ur Doing It Rong September 28, 2016
- Snapchats of a Native Son September 28, 2016
- Runways for Days September 28, 2016
- Are You There God September 27, 2016
- Let’s Write About Sex Baby September 27, 2016
- View All
Other Recent Articles
- Renegade Political Fiction: ‘The Revolutionaries Try Again’ September 28, 2016
- A Fourth Time, I Ask: Are Picture Books Leading Our Children Astray? September 28, 2016
- A Decade in the Literary Wilderness: A Conversation September 27, 2016
- The Author Wore Prada September 27, 2016
- Exclusive First Look: Claire Cameron’s ‘The Last Neanderthal’ September 26, 2016
- View All
- priskill says "@Moe Murph: I feel the same way. I certainly learned a lot from this thread (Steve! Mark HG! Heather Curran!)..."An Essential Human Respect: Reading Walt Whitman During Troubled Times
- Moe Murph says "There are an awful lot of new comments here, and I am looking forward to reading them, but I think I’ll..."An Essential Human Respect: Reading Walt Whitman During Troubled Times
- Dawn Powell says "Good points well made. Who knew picture books were be so disturbing. You should totally start a campaign...."A Fourth Time, I Ask: Are Picture Books Leading Our Children Astray?
- steven augustine says "@priskill Indeed!"An Essential Human Respect: Reading Walt Whitman During Troubled Times
- Adam says "“Lists are stupid. Here’s my list.”"Don’t Call It Chi-Town (And Other Things to Learn in Chicago Books)