Year in Reading

A Year in Reading: Ben Lerner

By posted at 6:00 am on December 8, 2014 13

covercovercoverFrom where I’m sitting I can see the galleys of Maggie Nelson’s incredible The Argonauts, which will come out this spring from Graywolf, and Aaron Kunin’s brilliant, Cold Genius, just out from Fence. Chris Nealon’s Heteronomy, published by Edge, has been supporting me all fall. Nealon taps into the energies of popular culture without condescension or self-congratulation or (easy) irony; his poems are at once totally well-wrought and unaffectedly conversational; he is clear-eyed about the catastrophe of the present but refuses to descend into mere melancholy; he has no illusions about poetry’s practical power but he is not in love with — or particularly tortured by — its marginality; Nealon — an accomplished literary critic — neither disavows his learning or retreats into it. Please read this book with me because everybody who reads it gets to enter a meadow where we can dance and die together:

“I think whenever you felt it, in austere modernity above a skyline, or in the back of some pub on the

pilgrim’s way –

I think wherever you are when you feel this, you’re in a kind of meadow –

And – I don’t know how to explain – I think no matter how we all go down together, by whichever

combination of terminal failures –

Whether the landscape after is a ravaged wasteland or a wide plain, hushed –

I think however we die out, we’ll have died in that meadow”

More from A Year in Reading 2014

Don’t miss: A Year in Reading 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006, 2005

The good stuff: The Millions’ Notable articles

The motherlode: The Millions’ Books and Reviews

Like what you see? Learn about 5 insanely easy ways to Support The Millions, and follow The Millions on Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr.

13 Responses to “A Year in Reading: Ben Lerner”

1. adam
    at 2:56 pm on December 8, 2014

is this some kind of joke?

2. Break Butter
    at 3:30 pm on December 8, 2014

No, it’s not. These two have been fellating each other across the internet for the last couple of months. She’s thanked in the acknowledgements of his new book, then she reviews said book for the Los Angeles Review of Books, then he picks her book as his favorite books of the year and I’m sure if she gets a chance she’ll pick his book as her favorite book. I’m starting to get used to this logrolling. It’s what the internet is about. There’s no point in fighting it. Just recognize it for what it is and take every recommendation witha grain of salt.

3. toad
    at 4:28 pm on December 8, 2014

Lerner and Kunin are also friends (per an old Believer interview). Hilarious. Doubt Lerner even read the Nelson or Kunin. “From where I’m sitting I can see the galleys…” Congrats on your ability to see!

4. Wyatt
    at 12:48 pm on December 9, 2014

Thank you! The meadow conceit is lovely and makes me eager to discover the rest of Nealon’s book.

I must also say I’m aghast at the crudeness, rudity, and absurd presumptiousness of the previous commenters. This whole series is a gift to readers, and a wonderful one, and it will be taken away from us, because who on earth would contribute again after responses like these?

5. Break Butter
    at 1:38 pm on December 9, 2014

I don’t think someone telling you to read their friends books is a gift. It’s PR. Don’t be so melodramatic. The people who are using this exercise to be thoughtful and recommending interesting books are being thanked; the logrollers are not, as they shouldn’t be. Ben Lerner’s recommending Maggie Nelson is the equivalent of Uncle Eddie’s handing his already half-drunk can of beer to Clark Griswold. “I bet you could use a cool one, huh?” “Now you’re talking.” That’s what kind of gift that is.

6. toad
    at 4:57 pm on December 9, 2014

It’s a gift in the same sense a television advertisement is a gift.

7. Claudia
    at 5:02 am on December 10, 2014

In res: Wyatt’s comment

What is “rudity” supposed to mean? Is that a new alternative spelling for “rudeness”? And for “presumptiousness” – shouldn’t that be spelled “presumptuousness”?

Condescending to other commentators (particularly if they have a point which you don’t even address) by using fancy words usually works better if you use words that actually exist and if you spell them correctly.

8. Tah Dah - The Shit Lady!
    at 10:56 am on December 10, 2014

Claudia,

The crudity rudiness of your commentarity is sickning!

All,

Newsflash, half of these year-end lists are PR for writers’ friends or their own publications. There’s no need to break out the fainting couch over this, it’s just a silly year-end exercise. Also, it’s possible to like a friend’s book in good faith. It isn’t, however, a “gift,” let’s be clear on that…

9. Not Ed Champion
    at 10:08 am on December 11, 2014

So far, Lerner gets the Matt Bell logroller of the year award, but we have yet to see Bell’s contribution, so until then, the champion holds the belt.

10. Wyatt
    at 12:22 pm on December 11, 2014

Wow, quick to the throat, aren’t we, and so witty! Rudity may have been a mistake, but it is fine by Webster’s online. Condescension was not what I intended, at least no more so than when my 4-year-old daughter angrily shouts at my 5-year-old son the most potent insult she knows: “You’re rude!” (She hasn’t learned yet how to mock style.) The comments here are unwarranted and unappreciated. They are self-congratulatory and mean, and completely out of the spirit of this series. These are the personal recommendations and reading experiences of authors. Truly, what does Mr. Lerner owe to you?

11. Jacques Fleener
    at 12:32 pm on December 11, 2014

Would The Millions please offer some of our esteemed commenters a Year In Reading of their own? This is not a joke! I am really curious.

12. Tom
    at 1:20 pm on December 17, 2014

Or maybe you dumbasses could consider that having a personal relationship with the authors increases their impact?

13. toad
    at 4:24 pm on December 17, 2014

Tom

Your question is incoherent. Learn how to properly write a sentence, dumbass.