“If you want to be grateful for something today, be grateful for that: Ebola doesn’t fly,” according to a 2012 NYT op-ed. (Ok, so that’s not true, but you’re still probably safe.) If you (like me) have been obsessively re-watching that infected American patient walk into his hospital in Atlanta, I’d like to suggest you (I) first relax, and then indulge your (my) Ebolapocalypse fears elsewhere, e.g., a roundup of the 14 best pandemic novels according to Slate, 11 from io9, 22 from Bookshop, or all 1,000+ at Goodreads.
Elise Liu is an intern for The Millions. She's worked as a management consultant for various American and European companies and one African government. Her website is eliseliu.com and she tweets @eliseliu.
More From Curiosities
- Himself April 28, 2015
- Barrels of Laughs April 28, 2015
- Not Dead Yet April 28, 2015
- Tuesday New Release Day: Smiley; Wallace; Manzini; Meloy; Gizzi; Eliot; Knausgaard April 28, 2015
- Gender Trouble April 27, 2015
- View All
Other Recent Articles
- Clickworthy Headlines about ‘The Fishermen’ by Chigozie Obioma April 28, 2015
- The Value of Writing Programs: On Why I Don’t Have an M.F.A. April 27, 2015
- The Book Report: Episode 18: ‘Friends’ April 24, 2015
- Fish Out of Water: On Heather Cocks and Jessica Morgan’s ‘The Royal We’ April 24, 2015
- A Conversation with a Stranger: Or, The Second Time I Tried to Read ‘War and Peace’ April 23, 2015
- View All
- Sharpei Ideogram says "il’ja, Can’t tell if you’re joking, but thanks, I think! M Morgan, It’s fair to..."The Value of Writing Programs: On Why I Don’t Have an M.F.A.
- il'ja says "Sharpei Ideogram writes: “…mostly what they are is a means of funding writers for 2-4 years, nothing more..."The Value of Writing Programs: On Why I Don’t Have an M.F.A.
- Benn says "Robin Wood says: “Junot Diaz is the Return of the Jedi of MFA teachers.”"The Value of Writing Programs: On Why I Don’t Have an M.F.A.
- M Morgan says "I agree that it doesn’t make sense to hate on MFA programs when they’re mainly paid for by the school,..."The Value of Writing Programs: On Why I Don’t Have an M.F.A.
- Shelley says "Never heard that version of Austen’s life before. Very interesting. Poor Fanny. But “soul-crushing day..."How Will I Live? Fame, Money, Day Jobs, and Fiction Writing.