Elizabeth Bishop famously exchanged letters with Robert Lowell so remarkable they were later collected and published (Words in Air). This Recording has prepared a selection of her letters to Lowell and others, including one edit focused on the year after a lover’s suicide. Pair with a meditation on the relevance of Bishop’s poetry at crucial life moments.
Elise Liu is an intern for The Millions. She's worked as a management consultant for various American and European companies and one African government. Her website is eliseliu.com and she tweets @eliseliu.
More From Curiosities
- Well That Took Long Enough October 20, 2016
- I Want to Go to There October 20, 2016
- The Great Silence October 19, 2016
- We Can Get Behind This October 19, 2016
- The Fantastic Ursula K. Le Guin October 18, 2016
- View All
Other Recent Articles
- How I Got It: Snoop Doggy Dogg’s ‘Doggystyle’ October 20, 2016
- What the Deuce: The Curse Words of Charles Dickens October 20, 2016
- The Library Is Dead. Long Live the Library! October 19, 2016
- The Legacy of Margaret Sanger: On Sabrina Jones’s ‘Our Lady of Birth Control’ October 19, 2016
- A Place to Find Shelter: Donald Quist’s ‘Harbors’ October 18, 2016
- View All
- OhNo! says "Public service has suffered wicked blows at the hands of the zealots of entitlement. They have been hacking away at public libraries since..."The Library Is Dead. Long Live the Library!
- steven augustine says "Excellent ! (fossicks around looking for solar-powered mobile miniature cheesecorn maker in steamer trunk under bed)"Dylan and Defiance
- Rose says "Hi everyone, especially Anon and Heather Curran, I’m an up-and-coming writer and I stumbled upon this article..."Look at Your Game, Girl: On Emma Cline’s ‘The Girls’
- Moe Murphy says "YEAH!!!! I will bring my Twitter character, a former Trump Tweeter/Elvis Impersonator named “Mediocre Apparatchik.” He is a bit language-challenged..."Dylan and Defiance
- Moe Murphy says "HI GUYS! It’s Moe Murph! What a nice thing to say. (I think I was suffering some sort of Trump-induced overload) Glad to be back. was just..."Five Novels I Won’t Write