“Poised to shake up the genre with its daring choice of protagonist, a groundbreaking young adult novel released this week by author Joan Berman reportedly makes the bold choice of following a moody, independently minded high school student who could be described as something of a loner.” The Onion pokes fun at YA fiction.
Thomas Beckwith is a staff writer for The Millions and an MFA candidate at Johns Hopkins. Prior to coming to Baltimore, he studied literature and worked in IT while living in Dublin, Ireland. You can find him on Twitter at @tdbeckwith.
More From Curiosities
- POTUS Picks October 25, 2016
- Tuesday New Release Day: Jin; Saizarbitoria; Jackson; Carson; Conroy; Boyle October 25, 2016
- Step Aside Shakes October 24, 2016
- Five Rows of Startlingly Empty Chairs October 24, 2016
- A Screwball Tragedy October 23, 2016
- View All
Other Recent Articles
- Paul Beatty Wins the 2016 Man Booker Prize October 25, 2016
- Amputations and Oversights: On Marc Nieson’s ‘Schoolhouse’ October 25, 2016
- Pressing Closer: On Brit Bennett’s ‘The Mothers’ October 25, 2016
- What Is It About Baseball? W.P. Kinsella, José Fernández, and the Dust of the 2016 Season October 24, 2016
- Running in the Wake October 24, 2016
- View All
- steven augustine says "A genuinely hilarious and affirmatively-active nod to that shoddy, second-rate effort from Mr Beatty (and hot on the heels of the..."Paul Beatty Wins the 2016 Man Booker Prize
- Elliott says "Great post! I think that, on the talent vs. work balance of things, more people are born with a chance to be a very good writer (if they..."Magical Thinking: Talent and the Cult of Craft
- Elizabeth Fisher says "So sad of a commentary- You should see high school Libraries. Mine is meeting the needs of our students and I work hard to..."The Library Is Dead. Long Live the Library!
- Moe Murph says "@MarkHG Point well made, MarkHG."A Very Special Millions Correction
- priskill says "This almost makes me want to both Run and Read FW — 2 things I have never done — lovely and inspiring piece."Running in the Wake