It’s the kind of niggling question that drives a writer mad: is it best to edit a piece after you finish a draft, or is it better to edit while you write? At Electric Lit, Lincoln Michel argues for the latter, on the grounds that it lets writers fix endemic problems before it’s too late. You could also read Lincoln’s 2010 Millions review of the movie Avatar.
Thomas Beckwith is a Social Media and Previews Editor for The Millions. A native of Baltimore, he worked in New York for three years before leaving to pursue a Master's degree in Irish literature. You can find him on Twitter at @tdbeckwith.
More From Curiosities
- Finish Your Novel February 9, 2016
- Tuesday New Release Day: Wray; Tennant-Moore; Wink; Sorrentino; de Kerangal; Gustine; Barbery; Silva; Warlick; Enrigue; Amdahl February 9, 2016
- That Used To Be You February 8, 2016
- Young Blood February 8, 2016
- The Good Stuff February 8, 2016
- View All
Other Recent Articles
- Transfigurations of Self and Soul: Four Essential Essay Collections February 9, 2016
- The Millions Top Ten: January 2016 February 8, 2016
- The Contents of His Head: On A.O. Scott’s ‘Better Living Through Criticism’ February 8, 2016
- No You or Me: On Love, Death, and the Kindle February 5, 2016
- It’s Time to Play…The Reissue Factor February 4, 2016
- View All
- Doug says "I still love the feel of an actual book in my hands but since my wife bought me a kindle the first year it came out I have bought and read..."No You or Me: On Love, Death, and the Kindle
- il'ja says "I live and work in a cultural setting in which literary criticism is wholly absent. It’s a..."The Contents of His Head: On A.O. Scott’s ‘Better Living Through Criticism’
- Brittany says "I love seeing Fanny Burney anywhere, but especially here. I wrote my undergrad thesis on her novels."How Will I Live? Fame, Money, Day Jobs, and Fiction Writing.
- Gwendy says "Thank you – Thank you for bringing up the person tense usage in “A Little Life”! I thought I was missing something and..."Two Lives: On Hanya Yanagihara and Atticus Lish
- Gert Loveday says "How interesting. I read the Tim Parks column too and I’m very familiar with publishers asking me to name a book that my..."Good News! China Miéville Has Written a Bad Book