In memory of Peter Matthiessen, The Missouri Review has unlocked an interview with him from 1989. Matthiessen detailed the beginning of his writing career. “I started my first novel and sent off about four chapters and waited by the post office for praise to roll in, calls from Hollywood, everything. Finally my agent sent me a letter that said ‘Dear Peter, James Fenimore Cooper wrote this a hundred and fifty years ago, only he wrote it better. Yours, Bernice.’ I probably needed that; it was very healthy.” For more Matthiessen, you can read one of his best travel essays or his new novel, In Paradise.
Tess Malone is an associate editor for The Millions and an editor in Atlanta. She tweets at @temalone.
More From Curiosities
- POTUS Picks October 25, 2016
- Tuesday New Release Day: Jin; Saizarbitoria; Jackson; Carson; Conroy; Boyle October 25, 2016
- Step Aside Shakes October 24, 2016
- Five Rows of Startlingly Empty Chairs October 24, 2016
- A Screwball Tragedy October 23, 2016
- View All
Other Recent Articles
- Paul Beatty Wins the 2016 Man Booker Prize October 25, 2016
- Amputations and Oversights: On Marc Nieson’s ‘Schoolhouse’ October 25, 2016
- Pressing Closer: On Brit Bennett’s ‘The Mothers’ October 25, 2016
- What Is It About Baseball? W.P. Kinsella, José Fernández, and the Dust of the 2016 Season October 24, 2016
- Running in the Wake October 24, 2016
- View All
- Heather Curran says "So i am happy for Beatty, but I no longer care about the Booker Prize, a prize that used to excite me, especially the long list, but..."Paul Beatty Wins the 2016 Man Booker Prize
- steven augustine says "A genuinely hilarious and affirmatively-active nod to that shoddy, second-rate effort from Mr Beatty (and hot on the heels of the..."Paul Beatty Wins the 2016 Man Booker Prize
- Elliott says "Great post! I think that, on the talent vs. work balance of things, more people are born with a chance to be a very good writer (if they..."Magical Thinking: Talent and the Cult of Craft
- Elizabeth Fisher says "So sad of a commentary- You should see high school Libraries. Mine is meeting the needs of our students and I work hard to..."The Library Is Dead. Long Live the Library!
- Moe Murph says "@MarkHG Point well made, MarkHG."A Very Special Millions Correction