In memory of Peter Matthiessen, The Missouri Review has unlocked an interview with him from 1989. Matthiessen detailed the beginning of his writing career. “I started my first novel and sent off about four chapters and waited by the post office for praise to roll in, calls from Hollywood, everything. Finally my agent sent me a letter that said ‘Dear Peter, James Fenimore Cooper wrote this a hundred and fifty years ago, only he wrote it better. Yours, Bernice.’ I probably needed that; it was very healthy.” For more Matthiessen, you can read one of his best travel essays or his new novel, In Paradise.
Tess Malone is an associate editor for The Millions. She is a copy editor and writer in Atlanta. She tweets at @temalone.
More From Curiosities
- The Future Is Now October 1, 2014
- 1 Origin Story October 1, 2014
- Our New Enemy October 1, 2014
- Villain’s Law October 1, 2014
- Down to/Poetry September 30, 2014
- View All
Other Recent Articles
- The Truce Between Fabulism and Realism: On Gabriel Garcia Marquez and the Modern Novel October 2, 2014
- An Inoculation Against Mistrust: Eula Biss’s On Immunity October 1, 2014
- Is There No Gender Equity in Nonfiction? October 1, 2014
- A Writer Walks Into a Bar. And Stays. September 30, 2014
- It’s 2014, Do You Know Where You Are? Bright Lights, Big City at 30 September 30, 2014
- View All
- timble says "“Do you think that, on average, non-fiction awards should be equally awarded to books on “male friendship in your 30s” and those on World..."Is There No Gender Equity in Nonfiction?
- My god says "@timble – fair point about “Capital…”as it is originally french, not American, non-fiction, and therefore would not be..."Is There No Gender Equity in Nonfiction?
- timble says "@my god The mission statement of the National Book Awards is “[...] to celebrate the best of American literature, to expand its audience,..."Is There No Gender Equity in Nonfiction?
- My god says "“why is a great work, as Ron Charles points out, called “seminal” rather than “ovular?” … Ugh… But leaving that..."Is There No Gender Equity in Nonfiction?
- Kathy says "Excellent piece! Thanks for bringing attention to all of the wonderful works of nonfiction written by women this year. It is a shame that more..."Is There No Gender Equity in Nonfiction?