Notable Articles and Screening Room

We Cast The Goldfinch Movie so Hollywood Doesn’t Have To

By posted at 6:00 am on March 17, 2014 51

goldfinch

coverWe learned earlier this month that Nina Jacobson, a movie producer responsible for the the Hunger Games franchise, among other things, has acquired the rights to Donna Tartt’s The Goldfinch and is looking for a director to make it into a film or mini-series. Lucky for Jacobson, dream-casting the movie version of a book is one of my life’s true passions, and my colleague Edan Lepucki and I hereby submit our ideas for the Goldfinch cast. The process reveals the bizarre extent to which I think I understand the Hollywood casting processes (and how often my first choice is ten years too late), which starlets we think play trashy the best, and how it might be worth it to turn the cast on its head to let Michael B. Jordan play Theo.

[Warning: Our discussion of what will be required to play these characters results in many spoilers.]

Audrey Decker:

imageJanet: It strikes me that almost any beautiful actress past her starlet age could swoop in and play an angelic, sophisticated mother who loved art and New York and whom we will probably see in fuzzy, nostalgic flashbacks for the duration of the film. Ten years ago it would have been Julianne Moore’s in a heartbeat, but now I picture Rachel Weisz or Michelle Monaghan (probably because we all just saw her play a lovely woman who married the wrong guy young in True Detective).

Edan: I love the idea of Rachel Weisz playing this role — she does elegant/maternal very well. The same goes for Kate Winslet. (I’m sorry, but a chair can act better than Michelle Monaghan.) I’d also suggest Kerry Washington for the role; her face can go from assured to vulnerable in a millisecond, and she’s got a powerful presence that both Theo and the audience will grieve.

Imagine, too, a non-white Theo Decker…his outsider status might then take on a whole other dimension…

Larry Decker:

imageJanet: Theo’s father is complicated. At one point he wooed Rachel Weisz up there, and continues to be a charming, charismatic guy, but ends up running schemes in Vegas. The part of me that likes to think I understand Hollywood surmises that it’s not a big enough role for the likes of Ben Affleck or Bradley Cooper, who would both be great but might be too busy on the A list. I could see Josh Brolin or Mark Ruffalo, though. They’ve both got the range and the tragic good looks.

Edan: If Mark Ruffalo knocked on my door right now, I’d open it naked. Yes! Ruffalo! I also could see Peter Krause of Six Feet Under (and Parenthood) fame — he’s handsome enough, and he emits a slight aura of bratty rage that playing Larry Decker would require.

Xandra:

imageJanet: Larry’s girlfriend is introduced as “a strange woman, tan and very fit-looking: flat gray eyes, lined coppery skin, and teeth that went in, with a split between them. Although she was older than my mother, or at any rate older-looking, she was dressed like someone younger: red platform sandals; low-slung jeans; wide belt; lots of gold jewelry. Her hair, the color of caramel straw, was very straight and tattered at the ends; she was chewing gum and a strong smell of Juicy Fruit was coming off her.”

So not Amy Adams, is what I’m saying. I could see Anna Paquin (who already has a gap in her teeth) or Chloe Sevigny taking a fun trip to trashville to play Xandra, or, if they stick to the age described, Rachel Griffiths.

imageEdan: Like Hollywood would ever stick to the age described! I bet the producers cast Elle Fanning, those ageists! Though I love Paquin and Sevigny, Paquin strikes me as too round-faced, and Sevigny is far too rich girl for me to believe her as Xandra. She’d be better off as a Barbour with her George Plimpton-esque mid-Atlantic accent! My pick for this role is Taryn Manning; her meth-head-turned-religious savior in Orange is the New Black is by turns gleeful, hideous, frightening, and humanizing. That girl can trash it up, and she is so fun to watch. [Janet: With Peter Krause as Larry and Rachel Griffiths as Xandra we could have a Six Feet Under reunion on our hands. Think about it.]

Young Theo/Young Boris:

Janet: The first section of the book follows Theo from age 13 to 18, and Boris comes in about halfway through, so it’s hard to know how that will be cast—maybe they’ll shrink the timeline so that one actor can play all those years, because I can’t imagine them getting both a middle school Theo and a high school Theo. Teenage Theo and Boris are also pretty weighty parts, so they can’t just find kids who look like a young version of their leading men to fill in for the first 20 minutes — like Jennifer Garner’s doppelganger in 13 Going on 30. Not that any of this matters, because I’m not familiar with a lot of young teenage actors, so I’ll just name the three I know because of Divergent or The Fault in Our Stars: Ansel Elgort, Miles Teller, and Nat Wolff. (Ten years ago: Nicholas Hoult.)

Edan: I have no opinions about man-boy actors. Just don’t cast the teenage son from USA’s Necessary Roughness; I have nightmares about his Ken-doll face.

Theo:

imageJanet: Theo is an intentionally divisive character. I found myself loving and hating him in equal measure, and getting the wrong actor could push the character too far in either direction. And, like his father, Theo is equally conversant in New York society, the antiques world, a life of crime, and a drug habit, so the actor has to have the same versatility. Andrew Garfield and Joseph Gordon Levitt both came to mind as bankable leading men, but they might be too adorable for Theo. (And can you imagine Joseph Gordon Levitt pining for but never winning Pippa? Hahahaha no.) Our colleague Lydia suggested Adrien Grenier, Adam Brody, and Zachary Quinto, each of whom have varying degrees of edge. My prediction is Jake Gyllenhaal, because I think he’s established enough that a studio would trust him to carry the movie (why am I talking like this?). But my dream actor is Emile Hirsch. He’s that perfect tragic-hero mix of magnetic, melancholy, doomed, but likable, and I’ve been waiting for the rest of America to fall in love with him since Into the Wild.

Edan: You think Joseph Gordon Levitt is that irresistible? [Janet: YES.] I mean, he’s adorable, yes, but he’s also small — he looks short on screen, which must mean he’s a teeny-tiny person. There’s also a strain of nerdery in him that could work for this role and make him less Mr. Cool. However, I love your idea to cast Emile Hirsch — what a phenomenal actor.

imageIf Kerry Washington is cast as the mother, however, might I suggest Donald Glover from Community in this role? Or, the incredible Michael B. Jordan from The Wire, Friday Night Lights, and Fruitvale Station? (Hell, cast Jordan anyway! His eyes — they convey innocence, rage, curiosity and longing all at once!)

Boris:

Janet: Oh Boris, you lying knave. I can’t get past the idea of how great a younger Leonardo DiCaprio would be, so I have no ideas. Lydia astutely suggested Paul Dano. But I know you have a strong opinion…

imageEdan: Adam Driver is the only man for this role. That pale skin! Those jug ears! He looks like a boy raised on vodka! Driver continually surprises me as Hannah Horvath’s boyfriend on Girls. He imbues every line of dialogue with unexpected nuance, and his physical presence is fascinating, discomfiting, sexy, comic, and tragic. Plus, he’d do something great with Boris’s accent!

Young Pippa:

Janet: This will probably be some child actress we’ve never seen before, but Kiernan Shipka would be great.

Edan: I vote for an unknown here.

Pippa:

Janet: Saintly, delicate Pippa is the European boarding school-educated flautist whom Theo doesn’t know how to quit. I think Emma Watson would do nicely. And she kind of looks like Kiernan Shipka!

imageEdan: I’m the only person (on Tumblr) who hated the film adaptation of Perks of Being a Wallflower, and Emma Watson’s bad American accent was part of that hatred. Shipka can have it. Or perhaps Saoirse Ronan (from Atonement and Hanna) is available? She’s like a younger, prettier, and more ethereal version of myself, so of course I’m rooting for her always.

Hobie:

imageJanet: Widely decried as the most two-dimensional character in the book, lovely old Hobie could basically be played by any amicable actor who has time on their hands. I thought of Michael Gambon, who is most likely too old. Jeff Bridges or William Hurt would also be good, although both too American. Screw it, let’s give it to Cumberbatch.

Edan: I would have loved to have cast Philip Seymour Hoffman in this role. If we want bona fide English, I’d go for Steve Coogan. Everyone loves Coogan, right?

Kitsey “Kitten” Barbour:

imageJanet: Theo’s high-society, two-timing fiancee. Leighton Meester or no one at all.

Edan:  I’ve never seen Gossip Girl, but I’ve read the gossip rags for many years, so I am all about Ms. Meester and her snobby, beautiful face. She looks like she was born wearing a sweater set and pearls.

Various Barbours and background players:

Janet: Mrs. Barbour is a surprisingly complex minor character that you’d just have to be elegant and icy to play. Jennifer Connelly, perhaps (ten years ago: Joan Allen). I have a sinking feeling Paul Giamatti will be Mr. Barbour because he shows up everywhere, and I don’t have any strong opinions about their children other than Kitten. Matt Dillon could show up as the guy who comes to threaten Theo’s dad with a baseball bat.

imageEdan: Let’s just call Meryl and see if she’ll play Mrs. Barbour, though I also love Connelly’s skinny-woman-ice. I’d love to see Robert Englund play a member of the criminal art underworld. Oh, and of course: a little known actor named Omar Little would be perfect as Popchik. (I’m Omar’s momager; call me if you’re interested!)

51 Responses to “We Cast The Goldfinch Movie so Hollywood Doesn’t Have To”

1. J Adams
    at 10:04 am on March 17, 2014

James Murphy of LCD Soundsystem is Hobie. Who knows whether he can even act?

2. Walter McGrain
    at 4:00 pm on March 17, 2014

I own this book but haven’t read it yet. This article makes me want to throw it in the trash unread.

3. Brian
    at 4:37 pm on March 17, 2014

wow, Anna Paquin as Xandra is 100% dead on.

Audrey Decker = Vera Farmiga

Hobie = old Harrison Ford

4. Janet Potter
    at 4:40 pm on March 17, 2014

Interesting — I actually thought of Vera Farmiga for Mrs. Barbour before dumping her for Jennifer Connelly.

@LaurenAWaterman on twitter suggested Stephen Fry for Hobie, and I think she nailed it.

5. Hamish Duncan
    at 4:43 pm on March 17, 2014

Walter walter walter, lets not be too hasty now.

6. Laura
    at 7:37 pm on March 17, 2014

I think your sentence should read “…cast Michael B. Jordan as Theo.”. “Let” isn’t the right verb for choosing, in my humble opinion. If he is your choices then cast him, don’t let him play the part.

7. Barbara
    at 8:49 pm on March 17, 2014

Pablo Schreiber as Boris. Hands down.

8. Jill
    at 12:37 am on March 18, 2014

@Edan: Emile Hirsch is 5’7″ so he’s actually 2 inches shorter than Joseph Gordon-Levitt, who’s over 5’9″.

I agree with Janet. Gordon-Levitt is beautiful. And a phenomenal actor, too. Tremendous in movies like Mysterious Skin.

9. Rosemary welsch
    at 8:53 pm on March 18, 2014

Stephen Fry is my pick for Hobie. Thought of him the entire novel.

10. ash
    at 9:47 pm on March 18, 2014

I think Emile Hirsch is spot on, and rachel weisz too. I like Saoirse Ronan as well. Someone blond and pale needs to play kitsey tho. maybe amanda seyfried?

I imagined Hobie as Brendan Gleeson, and it made me love him all the more. I like ruffalo, but I think someone more like Nikolaj Coster-Waldau (Jaime Lannister) better suits the t-shirt and white blazer vibe theo’s dad had going.

11. ffranny
    at 11:01 am on March 19, 2014

Please, please, PLEASE, by whatever gods there be, Hollywood, DO NOT make this into a movie! There’s just too much that would have to be cut/condensed/glossed over to fit into a two-hour package.

But it would make an *amazing* mini-series: I can see two or possibly three seasons, based on the settings: 1) New York, 2) Las Vegas, 3) New York again and after.

And trying to avoid spoilers here, once the plot involving the initial McGuffin (of which the painting is a classic example) has been resolved, *certain characters* could lend themselves to further adventures/quests/explorations of hope, despair and how one deals with them.

12. CPF
    at 11:44 am on March 19, 2014

Main thing is I don’t think the Audrey/Pippa suggestions are magicky enough, they’re too straight-ahead pretty. Need more magicks.

Audrey Decker: Audrey Tautou or Rooney Mara
    Pippa: Alyson Hannigan or Hallee Hirsh… even Morgan Smith Goodwin?
    Hobie: Roger Rees (seriously, he has exactly the right range and expressions)
    Mr. Barbour: Chris Parnell
    Cowboy collector: Matthew McConaughey

13. Jackie
    at 2:37 pm on March 20, 2014

I thought Theo’s mother had very fair skin with green eyes, that’s what made her so show stopping. Theo has his mothers features of green eyes and fair skin who looks like Harry Potter with his glasses. Not sure how two black actors, Kerry Washington and Donald Glover are going to be able to pull off these rolls without loosing the interest of the readers. I hope they cast it realistically.

14. Sarah
    at 3:33 pm on March 20, 2014

I pictured Brent Sexton (The Killing) as Hobie as I was reading ..

15. marie
    at 2:16 pm on March 21, 2014

Ezra Miller (We Need to Talk About Kevin, The Perks of Being a Wallflower) should play Boris! I imagined him as Boris the whole time I was reading, and he’s actually young enough to play teens through late 20s.

16. Gauri
    at 8:25 am on March 24, 2014

Rachel Weisz as Audrey Decker is so so so right! I like Ewan McGregor for Theo’s dad. He has that right mix of charm and smarm.

The movie though, hinges on young Theo and Boris. They can only be someone totally unknown for it to work

17. Edan Lepucki
    at 1:05 pm on March 24, 2014

JGL is 5’9″!?! This is the best news I’ve heard all day.

18. Shelley
    at 11:09 am on March 25, 2014

Yes Ruffalo. I like actors whose politics I like.

19. Leslie
    at 10:59 am on April 1, 2014

Hobie can only be Stephen Fry!

20. bee
    at 3:24 am on April 2, 2014

I have a hard time imagining Pippa as anyone other than Mia Wasikowska.
    Saoirse Ronan is a good second choice though.

21. Tee
    at 11:27 am on April 6, 2014

Uma Thurman as Ms Barbour

22. Debbie Katz
    at 3:16 pm on April 6, 2014

if you’re still taking ideas, here are mine:

Hobie: Robbie Coltrane (I know, too obvious a choice), I like Marisa Tomei for Theo’s mother, I like Blythe Danner for Mrs. Barbour, what about Wil Wheaton or Wes Bentley for Boris? Theo’s dad could be Greg Kinnear, he does handsome sleaze really well…

23. MDA
    at 5:13 am on April 10, 2014

For Mrs. Barbour the most “elegant weasel” I can think of is Tilda Swinton.
    Maybe Dakota Fanning or Amanda Seyfried as Kitsey? I had a hard time picturing her.
    Mia Wasikowska (with red hair) as Pipa.
    Anna Paquin as Xandra is great. I also picture Isla Fisher’s character in The Great Gatsby…or Johnny Depp’s ex wife, Vanessa Paradis but I don’t know if she acts.
    Stephen Fry is also my pick for Hobie.

24. Angela
    at 4:12 pm on April 13, 2014

Tim Robbins for Hobie.

25. Christopher
    at 10:02 am on April 15, 2014

Boris is obvious: Anton Yelchin!

26. Bee Jones
    at 7:58 pm on April 25, 2014

My partner and I are laughing at how spot on so many of these suggestions are! Our own conversation before I googled for this included Leonardo DiCaprio for Boris (although Adam from Girls and Ezra Miller are probably better really), Rachel Weisz for Audrey, and Jake Gyllenhall for Theo…

We first thought of Donald Sutherland for Hobie, but I love the idea of Harrison Ford too. Mark Ruffallo would be a great Larry Decker, and Anna Paquin as Xandra- brilliant. I was thinking perhaps Christina Applegate?

For Pippa, we reckoned Isla Fisher. Mrs Barbour could be Julianne Moore.

I love this game!

27. Bee Jones
    at 8:05 pm on April 25, 2014

Just an afterthought: if we are going English, why not Bill Nighy for Hobie?

28. LAS
    at 10:03 pm on April 25, 2014

Adult Theo = Nicholas Hoult
    Adult Boris = Ezra Miller
    Hobie = John Lithgow
    Xandra = Amy Ryan (See her in Gone Baby Gone)
    Larry Decker = Bryan Cranston
    Mrs Barbour = Cate Blanchett (Meryl Streep is way too old)
    Kitsy Barbour = Sophie Turner (Sansa Game of Thrones)

29. Goldfincher
    at 4:57 pm on April 28, 2014

Theo — Tobey Maguire

Boris — Adam Driver

Pippa — Rachel Hurd-Wood or Jane Levy

Hobie — Christoph Waltz

Kitsey — Diane Kruger

Mrs. Barbour — Cate Blanchett

30. Louise Pajak
    at 4:30 pm on April 29, 2014

Laura Linney for Mrs. Barbour!

31. Anika
    at 4:02 pm on May 9, 2014

Tarissa Farmiga would be a great Pipa- old or young. I think Meester’s a little off for Kitsey though

32. Anne
    at 8:41 am on May 25, 2014

My Boris would be (a younger) Bobby Gillespie

33. A Nonny Nonny Muss
    at 11:28 pm on June 5, 2014

I’ve been trying to cast Xandra, based on the Audio book reader’s voice interpretation and I keep coming up with BIG ANG!

34. Gada
    at 12:48 pm on June 6, 2014

What about Victor Garber as Hobie ?:)

35. A Nonny Nonny Muss
    at 7:14 pm on June 6, 2014

How about Anthony Hopkins as Hobie? And maybe even John Lithgow for Mr. Barbour rather than as Hobie?

36. J
    at 5:18 pm on June 10, 2014

Tony Shaloub is Hobie. Gentle, content, safe.

37. A Nonny Nonny Muss
    at 5:34 pm on June 10, 2014

Leslie Jordan is Lucius Reeve

38. Bon Vivant
    at 10:39 pm on June 10, 2014

I actually like the idea Jennifer Connelly as Audrey Decker… She’s who I imagined as I read. Patricia Clarkson as Mrs. Barbour. I’d like John Lithgow as Hobie. Zachary Quinto would make a good Theo.

39. CharlotteP
    at 6:02 am on June 11, 2014

I’d root for Mia Wasikowska for Pippa (No, Emma Watson would not do. She’s way too pretty in the standard sense). Also, isn’t Kitsey supposed to be pale and blonde?
    Either Julianne Moore or Cate Blanchett for Mrs. Barbour would be perfection. And I love the person who came up with Adam Driver as Boris: it’s so oddly fitting!
    Also, I can’t wait to see Popper on screen. He’s adorable :)

40. Sarah S
    at 10:42 am on June 13, 2014

Much better casting recommendations here (although I disagree with Gwenyth Paltrow as Mrs. Barbour) everyone else seems spot on:

41. Cath B
    at 11:00 am on June 15, 2014

Such a great lot of ideas!! My contribution would be Geoffrey Rush as Hobie. wouldn’t you agree?

42. Gada
    at 10:12 am on June 16, 2014

I am really sorry, but I cannot imagine other person than Victor being Hobie:) He would be sensitive and gentle there. and Mrs.Barbour would be Cate Blanchett indeed. Question to all: Would you cast Liv Tyler?

43. Trish
    at 10:56 pm on July 17, 2014

I havent read through all the comments and I maybe be a bit rose-coloured here – but Hobie was a foreboding gentle beast. What about Robbie Coltrane (grey haired). Geoffrey Rush would also be GREAT. And Maybe its the red hair, but what about Bonnie Wright Pippa? Adrian Brody for adult Boris. Oh just googled ANTON YELCHIN – YES FOR BORIS!

44. Trish
    at 10:57 pm on July 17, 2014

Oh YES Stephen Fry = Hobie

45. Kathy
    at 12:19 pm on July 21, 2014

I thought of Rhys Ifans(Evans) as Hobie -

46. Marina
    at 6:22 pm on August 7, 2014

You propose to ‘turn the cast on its head’ and ‘let’ Theo and his mother be played by black actors, as if the only other obvious and logical alternative is to have them be portrayed by white actors.

You have also apparently forgotten that Audrey Decker is half native-american. In your ‘enlightened’ proposal for a diverse cast (wow, how innovative of you, you remembered that talented non-white actors exist), you have failed to accurately represent the only important poc character in the novel.

47. hefner
    at 2:46 am on October 4, 2014

Hobbie=Daniel Day Lewis

48. Colin
    at 10:11 pm on October 5, 2014

Is Omar Little named after the character on The Wire?

49. eva
    at 9:49 am on October 22, 2014

Why would you cast British actors for Hobie? He was from Albany. He was not British.

50. Sarah
    at 12:03 pm on November 27, 2014

Ok i like most of your choices but I always thought Carey Mulligan would be a perfect Pippa.

I would love to see Joseph Gordon-Levitt as Theo though Jake Gyllenhaal sounds reasonable enough! and looks good with glasses.

And for Boris, why not Kit Harrington?

51. Allison
    at 7:02 pm on December 6, 2014

I never make comments online.
    But I felt really compelled to add a suggestion for the role of Boris-
    Irish actor Robert Sheehan. If you’ve never heard of him google him- he is exactly how I see Boris. He is great in the TV series Love/Hate.
    If Adam Driver was cast in the role I would be hugely disappointed.
    Ezra Miller would be a good runner up.