As a poet, historian, critic, translator and editor of The New Republic, Malcolm Cowley was a genuine literary polymath, which is why it’s not surprising that he wrote eloquent letters. In one, for example, he described Larry McMurtry, who Cowley taught when McMurtry was a Stegner Fellow at Stanford, as a “wild young man from Texas, expert in pornography.” In the Times, Dwight Garner reviews The Long Voyage, a new collection of Cowley’s letters.
Thomas Beckwith is a staff writer for The Millions and an MFA candidate at Johns Hopkins. Prior to coming to Baltimore, he studied literature and worked in IT while living in Dublin, Ireland. You can find him on Twitter at @tdbeckwith.
More From Curiosities
- Full of Carp January 24, 2017
- Mark Baumer Killed on Cross-Country Protest Walk January 24, 2017
- Tuesday New Release Day: Wilson; Ackerman; Barry; Barkan; Krivak; Coe January 24, 2017
- The Joy of Cooking for Others January 23, 2017
- 2017 Newbery and Caldecott Winners January 23, 2017
- View All
Other Recent Articles
- Distilling Narratives into Images: Iké Udé’s Nollywood Portraits January 24, 2017
- The Physical Book Will Surely Endure: But Will It Endure for the Right Reason? January 24, 2017
- ‘A Walk in the Woods’ vs. A Walk in the Woods: On Reading as a Substitute for Experience January 23, 2017
- The Age of Fiction: How Donald Trump Rewrote My Life January 20, 2017
- Surviving Trump: Lewis Lapham Wants Democracy to Rise from the Ashes January 19, 2017
- View All
- steven augustine says "@Samira (If you’re still around) Where are you? Egypt…?"The Age of Fiction: How Donald Trump Rewrote My Life
- steven augustine says "@Heather (I know you don’t want to come back to the thread; I’m not addressing you so much as your last..."The Age of Fiction: How Donald Trump Rewrote My Life
- Heather Curran says "Just love. Be kind, be gentle. It is easy. Politics has nothing to do with it. Nor does the tedious duscussion of MFAs. All..."The Age of Fiction: How Donald Trump Rewrote My Life
- Kirk says "Wow, I used to be perhaps the only conservative comment poster on this website. Now I can sit back, without getting my dander up, and..."The Age of Fiction: How Donald Trump Rewrote My Life
- Heather Curran says "Yes, yes, yes. My greatest memory is my mother taking me to the library to get a library card...."The Physical Book Will Surely Endure: But Will It Endure for the Right Reason?