Don’t let social anxiety trap you in your hotel room at AWP. At Tin House, Courtney Maum gives advice for how to make and keep your writer friends in an essay aptly titled, “How Not to Hate Your Friends.” Her first wise tip: “Only be friends with people you actually like.” Pair with: Our dispatch from AWP 2013 to know what you’re in for.
Tess Malone is an associate editor for The Millions and an editor in Atlanta. She tweets at @temalone.
More From Curiosities
- Step Aside Shakes October 24, 2016
- Five Rows of Startlingly Empty Chairs October 24, 2016
- A Screwball Tragedy October 23, 2016
- Let’s Have a Panel About It October 22, 2016
- Highly Recommended October 20, 2016
- View All
Other Recent Articles
- What Is It About Baseball? W.P. Kinsella, José Fernández, and the Dust of the 2016 Season October 24, 2016
- Running in the Wake October 24, 2016
- Hollywood English Class: On Margaret Atwood’s ‘Hag-Seed’ October 21, 2016
- Henry James for Every Day of the Year October 21, 2016
- How I Got It: Snoop Doggy Dogg’s ‘Doggystyle’ October 20, 2016
- View All
- Elizabeth Fisher says "So sad of a commentary- You should see high school Libraries. Mine is meeting the needs of our students and I work hard to..."The Library Is Dead. Long Live the Library!
- Moe Murph says "@MarkHG Point well made, MarkHG."A Very Special Millions Correction
- priskill says "This almost makes me want to both Run and Read FW — 2 things I have never done — lovely and inspiring piece."Running in the Wake
- Will says "In my late 50’s now, having read Ulysses for the first time a couple years ago, having listened to my first audio books in the last year, and being a..."Running in the Wake
- Mrs. Millions says "This is beautiful, Derek :)."Running in the Wake