Over at The Believer, Amy Benfer pens a paean to the serial novels of her youth. “They are the training bras of literature; books that teach young girls how to be older girls before they get there,” Benfer writes.
Nick Moran is the social media editor for The Millions. Before leaving the publishing industry, he worked for Norton, John Wiley & Sons, and Oxford University Press. Currently he lives in Baltimore, where he works for the Johns Hopkins School of Public Health. His interests can be followed on his Tumblr, Nick Recommends and Twitter, @nemoran3.
More From Curiosities
- Not Dead Yet April 28, 2015
- Tuesday New Release Day: Smiley; Wallace; Manzini; Meloy; Gizzi; Eliot; Knausgaard April 28, 2015
- Gender Trouble April 27, 2015
- Much to Sympathize With April 27, 2015
- Into Her Own April 27, 2015
- View All
Other Recent Articles
- Clickworthy Headlines about ‘The Fisherman’ by Chigozie Obioma April 28, 2015
- The Value of Writing Programs: On Why I Don’t Have an M.F.A. April 27, 2015
- The Book Report: Episode 18: ‘Friends’ April 24, 2015
- Fish Out of Water: On Heather Cocks and Jessica Morgan’s ‘The Royal We’ April 24, 2015
- A Conversation with a Stranger: Or, The Second Time I Tried to Read ‘War and Peace’ April 23, 2015
- View All
- Sharpei Ideogram says "justa, Yes, exactly. I think one problem in the entire (mostly unnecessary) internet dialog regarding MFAs..."The Value of Writing Programs: On Why I Don’t Have an M.F.A.
- justaphotographer says "Perfectly said Sharpei. The MFA as a form of patronage is far more meritocratic (and democratic) than the..."The Value of Writing Programs: On Why I Don’t Have an M.F.A.
- Thomas Beckwith says "Sorry about that, Lesley. It’s fixed."Into Her Own
- Sharpei Ideogram says "To clarify, I’m talking about the top 30 or so MFA programs that waive tuition and provide livable..."The Value of Writing Programs: On Why I Don’t Have an M.F.A.
- Sharpei Ideogram says "What gets missed in all the crazy butthurt surrounding MFA programs, and more accurately people’s..."The Value of Writing Programs: On Why I Don’t Have an M.F.A.