“All this is by way of saying that in the United States we haven’t got any actual royals, and yet almost the very first stories we hear are about princes and princesses, kings and queens. When a little American kid first learns that there is such a thing as real, live princes and princesses, who live in actual palaces, this is liable to come as a terrific shock, though in general a pleasing one. One would like it to be true; it’s a very nice idea, that there is such a thing as an incorruptible person for whom everything will — everything must — come right in the end.” Maria Bustillos on America’s fascination with royalty.
Thomas Beckwith is a Social Media Writer for The Millions. A native of Baltimore, he worked in New York for three years before leaving to pursue a Master's degree in Irish literature. You can find him on Twitter at @tdbeckwith.
More From Curiosities
- Choose Your Own Adventure Real Talk April 24, 2014
- Poetry of Brotherhood April 24, 2014
- More Márquez? April 24, 2014
- Colson at the Casino April 24, 2014
- Shakespeare’s Dictionary April 24, 2014
- View All
Other Recent Articles
- Undomesticated: On Joan Chase’s During the Reign of the Queen of Persia April 24, 2014
- You Can’t Avert Your Eyes: The Millions Interviews Teju Cole April 24, 2014
- When It Becomes Clear What It Is That They Will Be Doing, I Will Be Very Interested in Their Doings: On The Best of McSweeney’s April 23, 2014
- 450 Years of Juliets: On Women Making Shakespeare April 23, 2014
- Short Stories, Italian Style: On Francesca Marciano’s The Other Language April 22, 2014
- View All
- Katt says "I just have to say that since I have a smartphone, I use my home computer less and less. I don’t have an additional device for reading, I read on my..."Are eReaders Really Green?
- Louis Branning says "I just finished this last month, an undeniably beautiful creation by Chase, and my favorite novel..."Undomesticated: On Joan Chase’s During the Reign of the Queen of Persia
- Lucy says "This is so so perfect. Thank you to Laura for the creation and to The Millions for the share."Theo Decker’s Pinterest
- Gert Loveday says "Interesting. There’s just been a review of this on the Australian blog His Futile..."Undomesticated: On Joan Chase’s During the Reign of the Queen of Persia
- Laura Petelle says "I’m also a devoted reader of The Millions, and I think it was your review that initially pointed me to the book, so I’m thrilled to..."Theo Decker’s Pinterest