“All this is by way of saying that in the United States we haven’t got any actual royals, and yet almost the very first stories we hear are about princes and princesses, kings and queens. When a little American kid first learns that there is such a thing as real, live princes and princesses, who live in actual palaces, this is liable to come as a terrific shock, though in general a pleasing one. One would like it to be true; it’s a very nice idea, that there is such a thing as an incorruptible person for whom everything will — everything must — come right in the end.” Maria Bustillos on America’s fascination with royalty.
Thomas Beckwith is a Writer and Project Assistant for The Millions. A native of Baltimore, he worked in New York for three years before leaving to pursue a Master's degree in Irish literature. You can find him on Twitter at @tdbeckwith.
More From Curiosities
- Not Dead Yet April 28, 2015
- Tuesday New Release Day: Smiley; Wallace; Manzini; Meloy; Gizzi; Eliot; Knausgaard April 28, 2015
- Gender Trouble April 27, 2015
- Much to Sympathize With April 27, 2015
- Into Her Own April 27, 2015
- View All
Other Recent Articles
- Clickworthy Headlines about ‘The Fisherman’ by Chigozie Obioma April 28, 2015
- The Value of Writing Programs: On Why I Don’t Have an M.F.A. April 27, 2015
- The Book Report: Episode 18: ‘Friends’ April 24, 2015
- Fish Out of Water: On Heather Cocks and Jessica Morgan’s ‘The Royal We’ April 24, 2015
- A Conversation with a Stranger: Or, The Second Time I Tried to Read ‘War and Peace’ April 23, 2015
- View All
- Benn says "Robin Wood says: “Junot Diaz is the Return of the Jedi of MFA teachers.”"The Value of Writing Programs: On Why I Don’t Have an M.F.A.
- M Morgan says "I agree that it doesn’t make sense to hate on MFA programs when they’re mainly paid for by the school,..."The Value of Writing Programs: On Why I Don’t Have an M.F.A.
- Shelley says "Never heard that version of Austen’s life before. Very interesting. Poor Fanny. But “soul-crushing day..."How Will I Live? Fame, Money, Day Jobs, and Fiction Writing.
- lesleyh says "Thanks!"Into Her Own
- Sharpei Ideogram says "justa, Yes, exactly. I think one problem in the entire (mostly unnecessary) internet dialog regarding MFAs..."The Value of Writing Programs: On Why I Don’t Have an M.F.A.