What happens when two magazine writers publish stories on the same topic within a month of each other? We get to read some of the best long-form journalism of the year. Both Esquire’s Chris Jones and The Washingtonian’s Garrett M. Graff wrote about what it was like to be on Air Force One after the Kennedy assassination. Jones’ “The Flight From Dallas” hits 7,600 words, but Graff’s “Angel is Airborne” totals 18,000. Save some time to read both because they’re equally gripping and uniquely told narratives.
Tess Malone is an intern for The Millions. She is an editor, writer and journalism master's student at the University of Missouri. She reviews films on her blog, Malone at the Movies, and tweets at @temalone.
More From Curiosities
- Choose Your Own Adventure Real Talk April 24, 2014
- Poetry of Brotherhood April 24, 2014
- More Márquez? April 24, 2014
- Colson at the Casino April 24, 2014
- Shakespeare’s Dictionary April 24, 2014
- View All
Other Recent Articles
- Undomesticated: On Joan Chase’s During the Reign of the Queen of Persia April 24, 2014
- You Can’t Avert Your Eyes: The Millions Interviews Teju Cole April 24, 2014
- When It Becomes Clear What It Is That They Will Be Doing, I Will Be Very Interested in Their Doings: On The Best of McSweeney’s April 23, 2014
- 450 Years of Juliets: On Women Making Shakespeare April 23, 2014
- Short Stories, Italian Style: On Francesca Marciano’s The Other Language April 22, 2014
- View All
- Katt says "I just have to say that since I have a smartphone, I use my home computer less and less. I don’t have an additional device for reading, I read on my..."Are eReaders Really Green?
- Louis Branning says "I just finished this last month, an undeniably beautiful creation by Chase, and my favorite novel..."Undomesticated: On Joan Chase’s During the Reign of the Queen of Persia
- Lucy says "This is so so perfect. Thank you to Laura for the creation and to The Millions for the share."Theo Decker’s Pinterest
- Gert Loveday says "Interesting. There’s just been a review of this on the Australian blog His Futile..."Undomesticated: On Joan Chase’s During the Reign of the Queen of Persia
- Laura Petelle says "I’m also a devoted reader of The Millions, and I think it was your review that initially pointed me to the book, so I’m thrilled to..."Theo Decker’s Pinterest