Want to wean yourself off gin, recover from tuberculosis, and work on your novel? Don’t go to Asheville, North Carolina. NPR reports that F. Scott Fitzgerald and Zelda spent two tumultuous summers in the town, where Zelda was in a psychiatric hospital and Scott was suicidal. For more on the unhappy life of Zelda, read our review of Z: A Novel of Zelda Fitzgerald.
Tess Malone is an intern for The Millions. She is an editor, writer and journalism master's student at the University of Missouri. She reviews films on her blog, Malone at the Movies, and tweets at @temalone.
More From Curiosities
- I Am My Lighthouse’s Keeper December 12, 2013
- Ancient Welsh Book To Be Made Available Online December 12, 2013
- Franz Kafka: The Video Game December 12, 2013
- Wendell Pierce Secures A Book Deal for His Look at Hurricane Katrina December 11, 2013
- Norway to Digitize Its Entire Library December 11, 2013
- View All
Other Recent Articles
- A Year in Reading: Elizabeth Minkel December 12, 2013
- A Year in Reading: Reif Larsen December 12, 2013
- A Year in Reading: Janice Clark December 12, 2013
- A Year in Reading: Paul Harding December 12, 2013
- A Year in Reading: Adelle Waldman December 11, 2013
- View All
- JOHN T SHEA says "A Vaclav Havel video game might be more interesting."Franz Kafka: The Video Game
- Mike s says "Couldn’t agree more with your applause for “The Forsaken”. More people were chewed and spit out of the Stalin..."A Year in Reading: Hamilton Leithauser (The Walkmen)
- humbow says "I think a writer really ought to know that “It’s not just David and I” is not grammatically correct."Why Are So Many Literary Writers Shifting into Genre?
- NME says "Love GO DOWN, MOSES. Right up there w/ ABSALOM, ABSALOM."A Year in Reading: Paul Harding
- Nick says "I loved this. I haven’t read Middlemarch yet, but the quotes alone have convinced me to give it a shot this year. Thanks! On a side note, I can no..."A Year in Reading: Adelle Waldman