Prizes

Famous Names and Newcomers on the 2013 Booker Shortlist (With Excerpts)

By posted at 6:16 am on September 10, 2013 7

Colm Toibin and Jhumpa Lahiri headline the 2013 Booker shortlist, which also offers newer names like NoViolet Bulawayo, making the list with her first novel, and Eleanor Catton, shortlisted for her second. The longlist was offered here with some excerpts a month ago, but since you might not have gotten around to them then, we’ll offer the same with the shortlist below.

covercovercovercovercovercover

7 Responses to “Famous Names and Newcomers on the 2013 Booker Shortlist (With Excerpts)”

1. Ryan
    at 12:43 pm on September 10, 2013

We Need New Names was fantastic, best of the shortlist I’ve read so far. Of these six, only still haven’t read The Lowland and The Luminaries, but I’m really looking forward to them, The Luminaries especially.

2. Andrija F.
    at 1:37 pm on September 10, 2013

Ah, unfortunately Aw’s “Five Star Billionaire” didn’t make it. Too bad. But “We Need New Names” is indeed great. I’ve got a couple more to read, but I really hope Bulawayo will win.

3. G
    at 5:52 pm on September 10, 2013

I realize Colm Toibin is a regular when it comes to (short/long)listing for the Booker but The Testament of Mary is very deserving. A beautiful and tragic story told with compassion and wonder.

4. Friday AGAIN | In the Palace of the Queen of the Pillbugs
    at 7:03 am on September 20, 2013

[…] The Millions — if you love books and don’t follow The Millions, why?? Here is a list of the Booker Prize shortlist, with links and excerpts! Wonderful! And here’s a bit about Pynchon’s new novel, which […]

5. Me and the MB Down by the Schoolyard
    at 6:04 pm on September 30, 2013

[…] Man Booker Prize shortlist is out, and possibly for the first time in my life, I’ve read something on it before it was […]

6. S. Radhakrishnan
    at 5:35 am on October 7, 2013

A few days ago I finished reading the last of the six books in the short list. In my view the shortest book is out first as it has too many allusions and needs specialized knowledge of Christianity to understand. The longest is out next as it’s simply too long for a whodunit and doesn’t end with any kind of a surprise factor. Bulawayo’s book has far too many characters and all of them seem to be protagonists. Between the last two Lahiri’s is a strong contender but the two halves of the novel do not jell – though I admit that might be the express intent of the author. The winner is Ruth Ozeki’s book with its stark juxtaposition of contrasting characters and time frames.

7. There Goes the Neighborhood | Wanderlustful