Chad Post ran the numbers to calculate “the state of literature in translation today,” and in so doing he found that AmazonCrossing has been publishing more works of fiction and poetry in translation than any other press except Dalkey Archive. Additionally, the “overall number of works of fiction in translation being published in the U.S. is growing pretty nicely.” To get a full account of what’s coming out this year, check out his 2013 Translation Database.
Nick Moran works on special projects for The Millions. He lives in Baltimore and he frequents dive bars. His interests can be followed on his Tumblr, Nick Recommends and Twitter, @nemoran3.
More From Curiosities
- Highly Recommended October 20, 2016
- Terrific Ham October 20, 2016
- Well That Took Long Enough October 20, 2016
- I Want to Go to There October 20, 2016
- The Great Silence October 19, 2016
- View All
Other Recent Articles
- Henry James for Every Day of the Year October 21, 2016
- How I Got It: Snoop Doggy Dogg’s ‘Doggystyle’ October 20, 2016
- What the Deuce: The Curse Words of Charles Dickens October 20, 2016
- The Library Is Dead. Long Live the Library! October 19, 2016
- The Legacy of Margaret Sanger: On Sabrina Jones’s ‘Our Lady of Birth Control’ October 19, 2016
- View All
- Uncle Dan says "We’re so much more enlightened. We refer to certain unmentionable categories of malefactors as “youths.”"What the Deuce: The Curse Words of Charles Dickens
- The Modern Novel says "No it doesn’t. It recommends eight books but nowhere does it say that it thinks we’ll like them, not least because, of course, it has no idea..."Highly Recommended
- il'ja says "Not quite sure how I missed this, but thanks for the engaging synopsis of your ordeal. The problem I’ve always had with..."A Reader’s Diary: On Alan Moore’s ‘Jerusalem’
- J G Broadfield says "Sadly, when those who would look for efficiency, as Worstall in 2014, without looking at the full scope, bad decisions are made...."The Library Is Dead. Long Live the Library!
- OhNo! says "Public service has suffered wicked blows at the hands of the zealots of entitlement. They have been hacking away at public libraries since..."The Library Is Dead. Long Live the Library!