“For years, growing up, I was obsessed with the thought; among my earliest memories is the desire, at age three or four, to run in front of an oncoming bus. Not because I wanted to see what would happen, but because I was sure I knew what would happen: I wouldn’t have to live any longer. I suspect there may be a suicide gene.” Clancy Martin tackles a perennially touchy subject.
Thomas Beckwith is a Social Media and Previews Editor for The Millions. A native of Baltimore, he worked in New York for three years before leaving to pursue a Master's degree in Irish literature. You can find him on Twitter at @tdbeckwith.
More From Curiosities
- The Night I Am Heading Into September 25, 2016
- Born to Read September 24, 2016
- Tell Us Something We Don’t Know September 24, 2016
- Ask Us Anything: Swarm & Spark September 23, 2016
- Hipster Sommelier September 23, 2016
- View All
Other Recent Articles
- The Art of Compassion: On Donald Trump’s Hats September 23, 2016
- Don’t Call It Chi-Town (And Other Things to Learn in Chicago Books) September 22, 2016
- 2016’s Literary Geniuses September 22, 2016
- Setting a Rant to Music: On Adapting Thomas Bernhard’s ‘The Loser’ for the Opera September 22, 2016
- Living in French: The Millions Interviews Lauren Collins September 21, 2016
- View All
- steven augustine says "Tim Parks (“How Could You Like That Book?” NYR Daily, Nov 10, 2015) writes: “Could this be the function, then, or at least one..."How Could You Like That Book?
- steven augustine says "Sean A) Stephen King is a great story-teller who isn’t much of a writer. His books are really just transcriptions of campfire tales;..."2016’s Literary Geniuses
- Sean H says "You gotta vent some rage from time to time, right? And if you don’t think Stephen King is gonna stand the test of time, hey, maybe you’re..."2016’s Literary Geniuses
- priskill says "Also, how clever to pick on this one slogan/affectation to explore certain, ah, perceived personality limitations. Thanks!"The Art of Compassion: On Donald Trump’s Hats
- priskill says "“Make America Hate Again!” seems more like it. A little nod to the Alt White, I mean, Right. I know — this is a..."The Art of Compassion: On Donald Trump’s Hats