Chances are you’ve heard that in a recent interview, Claire Messud responded to a patronizing question about one of her characters — “I wouldn’t want to be friends with Nora, would you?” — by giving her interviewer a smackdown that resonated across the blogosphere. At Page-Turner, several authors (including Rivka Galchen, Jonathan Franzen and Year in Reading alumna Margaret Atwood) offer their own takes on the matter of “likeability.” (There’s also this piece by our own Emily St. John Mandel to consider.)
Thomas Beckwith is a Writer and Project Assistant for The Millions. A native of Baltimore, he worked in New York for three years before leaving to pursue a Master's degree in Irish literature. You can find him on Twitter at @tdbeckwith.
More From Curiosities
- Not Dead Yet April 28, 2015
- Tuesday New Release Day: Smiley; Wallace; Manzini; Meloy; Gizzi; Eliot; Knausgaard April 28, 2015
- Gender Trouble April 27, 2015
- Much to Sympathize With April 27, 2015
- Into Her Own April 27, 2015
- View All
Other Recent Articles
- Clickworthy Headlines about ‘The Fisherman’ by Chigozie Obioma April 28, 2015
- The Value of Writing Programs: On Why I Don’t Have an M.F.A. April 27, 2015
- The Book Report: Episode 18: ‘Friends’ April 24, 2015
- Fish Out of Water: On Heather Cocks and Jessica Morgan’s ‘The Royal We’ April 24, 2015
- A Conversation with a Stranger: Or, The Second Time I Tried to Read ‘War and Peace’ April 23, 2015
- View All
- Sharpei Ideogram says "justa, Yes, exactly. I think one problem in the entire (mostly unnecessary) internet dialog regarding MFAs..."The Value of Writing Programs: On Why I Don’t Have an M.F.A.
- justaphotographer says "Perfectly said Sharpei. The MFA as a form of patronage is far more meritocratic (and democratic) than the..."The Value of Writing Programs: On Why I Don’t Have an M.F.A.
- Thomas Beckwith says "Sorry about that, Lesley. It’s fixed."Into Her Own
- Sharpei Ideogram says "To clarify, I’m talking about the top 30 or so MFA programs that waive tuition and provide livable..."The Value of Writing Programs: On Why I Don’t Have an M.F.A.
- Sharpei Ideogram says "What gets missed in all the crazy butthurt surrounding MFA programs, and more accurately people’s..."The Value of Writing Programs: On Why I Don’t Have an M.F.A.