Some heavy hitters out this week: Sweet Tooth by Ian McEwan; Dear Life, Alice Munro’s latest collection; Woes of the True Policeman by Roberto Bolaño; The Testament of Mary by Colm Tóibín; and Far From the Tree, Andrew Solomon’s massive follow-up to The Noonday Demon. Also out are My Ideal Bookshelf, in which figures from Judd Apatow to Jennifer Egan share about which books shaped them; Jon Meacham’s biography of Jefferson; 40 years of poems by Louise Glück; a new issue of McSweeney’s food mag Lucky Peach; debut The Heat of the Sun by David Rain, and She Loves Me Not, a new collection of stories by Ron Hansen.
C. Max Magee created and edits The Millions. He is co-editor of the collection of essays The Late American Novel: Writers on the Future of Books, called "funny, poignant, relentlessly thought-provoking" by The Atlantic. He and his family live in New Jersey. If you'd like to correspond, please don't hesitate to email.
More From Curiosities
- POTUS Picks October 25, 2016
- Tuesday New Release Day: Jin; Saizarbitoria; Jackson; Carson; Conroy; Boyle October 25, 2016
- Step Aside Shakes October 24, 2016
- Five Rows of Startlingly Empty Chairs October 24, 2016
- A Screwball Tragedy October 23, 2016
- View All
Other Recent Articles
- Paul Beatty Wins the 2016 Man Booker Prize October 25, 2016
- Amputations and Oversights: On Marc Nieson’s ‘Schoolhouse’ October 25, 2016
- Pressing Closer: On Brit Bennett’s ‘The Mothers’ October 25, 2016
- What Is It About Baseball? W.P. Kinsella, José Fernández, and the Dust of the 2016 Season October 24, 2016
- Running in the Wake October 24, 2016
- View All
- Heather Curran says "So i am happy for Beatty, but I no longer care about the Booker Prize, a prize that used to excite me, especially the long list, but..."Paul Beatty Wins the 2016 Man Booker Prize
- steven augustine says "A genuinely hilarious and affirmatively-active nod to that shoddy, second-rate effort from Mr Beatty (and hot on the heels of the..."Paul Beatty Wins the 2016 Man Booker Prize
- Elliott says "Great post! I think that, on the talent vs. work balance of things, more people are born with a chance to be a very good writer (if they..."Magical Thinking: Talent and the Cult of Craft
- Elizabeth Fisher says "So sad of a commentary- You should see high school Libraries. Mine is meeting the needs of our students and I work hard to..."The Library Is Dead. Long Live the Library!
- Moe Murph says "@MarkHG Point well made, MarkHG."A Very Special Millions Correction