“It just goes to show you: it’s not just luck you need to have a successful literary career. It’s luck, piled on luck, piled on luck again, and around the corner, you need another sprinkling of it” says Michelle Dean, after investigating Stephen King’s rise in response partly to Dwight Allen’s “Snob Notes” on the author. Colin Dickey and Sarah Langan have both previously weighed on on Allen’s essay and King’s particular strengths.
Emily M. Keeler is the editor of Little Brother Magazine, and the #LitBeat editor for The Millions. She also acts as the Toronto editor for Joyland. And she tweets, too.
More From Curiosities
- Tuesday New Release Day: Smiley; Wallace; Manzini; Meloy; Gizzi; Eliot; Knausgaard April 28, 2015
- Gender Trouble April 27, 2015
- Much to Sympathize With April 27, 2015
- Into Her Own April 27, 2015
- He Who Must Not Be Named April 27, 2015
- View All
Other Recent Articles
- Clickworthy Headlines about ‘The Fisherman’ by Chigozie Obioma April 28, 2015
- The Value of Writing Programs: On Why I Don’t Have an M.F.A. April 27, 2015
- The Book Report: Episode 18: ‘Friends’ April 24, 2015
- Fish Out of Water: On Heather Cocks and Jessica Morgan’s ‘The Royal We’ April 24, 2015
- A Conversation with a Stranger: Or, The Second Time I Tried to Read ‘War and Peace’ April 23, 2015
- View All
- Thomas Beckwith says "Sorry about that, Lesley. It’s fixed."Into Her Own
- Sharpei Ideogram says "To clarify, I’m talking about the top 30 or so MFA programs that waive tuition and provide livable..."The Value of Writing Programs: On Why I Don’t Have an M.F.A.
- Sharpei Ideogram says "What gets missed in all the crazy butthurt surrounding MFA programs, and more accurately people’s..."The Value of Writing Programs: On Why I Don’t Have an M.F.A.
- lesleyh says "Here is the link to the review/essay. http://therumpus.net/2015/04/t he-sunday-rumpus-book-review-t he-amazing-heft-of-wendy-ortiz s-hollywood-notebook/"Into Her Own
- lesleyh says "The link to my review of Wendy Ortiz’s Hollywood Notebook that you comment on is not there in your Into Her Own section. Where the link to the article on The Rumpus..."Into Her Own