Prizes

2012: The Year With No Pulitzer Prize for Fiction

By posted at 3:48 pm on April 16, 2012 20

A curious statement was made by this year’s Pulitzer Prize committee as, for the first time since A River Runs Through It failed to win in 1977, no award was given in the fiction category. Instead, Denis Johnson’s Train Dreams, Karen Russell’s Swamplandia!, and David Foster Wallace’s The Pale King will get to split the “tie” on their records. In the history of the Prize, there have only been nine other years without a fiction winner.

coverMeanwhile in the General Nonfiction category, Stephen Greenblatt‘s The Swerve: How the World Became Modern took home the top prize.

Here are this year’s Pulitzer winners and finalists with excerpts where available:

Fiction:

covercovercover

General Nonfiction:

covercovercover

History:

covercovercovercover

Biography:

covercovercover

Winners and finalists in other categories are available at the Pulitzer Web site.

20 Responses to “2012: The Year With No Pulitzer Prize for Fiction”

1. Tim P.
    at 5:03 pm on April 16, 2012

Disappointing. I enjoy the major book awards, and seeing who wins, especially if I have read the books and have a horse in the race. This makes me less interested in their award.

So what does it mean that – “The three books were fully considered, but in the end, none mustered the mandatory majority for granting a prize, so no prize was awarded,” said Sig Gissler, administrator of the Pulitzer Prizes (quote from latimes.com)?

At first look it implied to me that the judges did not find any of the three worthy of the pulitizer and so they refused to pick a winner. However, on second look at the wording maybe each book had supporters who felt strongly for their choice and strongly enough against the other choices to refuse to compromise.

2. ZK
    at 8:10 pm on April 16, 2012

If Swamplandia! is considered in the same breath as Train Dreams then who needs prizes anyway. What a joke.

3. Monday’s Margins: I’m Nobody, Who Are You? Are You — A Pulitzer Winner — Too? | Identity Theory
    at 10:00 pm on April 16, 2012

[…] Millions has a rundown of this year’s Pulitzer winners and finalists with excerpts and other features where […]

4. mt
    at 10:28 pm on April 16, 2012

Where’s the poetry? They gave a prize for that.

5. Lorelei
    at 10:40 pm on April 16, 2012

Agree completely with ZK. Seeing Swamplandia! there would not inspire confidence in the remaining selections. But the others were all worthy contenders and I could name three more. Odd.

6. Jack M
    at 7:42 am on April 17, 2012

It’s obvious – Swamplandia! is too unpolished, The Pale King is literally unfiinished and Train Dreams is too slight (number of pages). The question is, why weren’t other, more qualified novels in the running?

7. 2012 Pulitzer Prize Winners List, Finalists: A Roundup of Reactions and Stories on Winners | Shallow Nation
    at 7:44 am on April 17, 2012

[…] TimesArts and Letters winners and finalists, with links to book excerpts, interview excerpts is at The Millions.For a roundup of in-depth stories and links to their winning works of the various journalism […]

8. elle
    at 8:48 am on April 17, 2012

Scary to think possibly there were not, Jack M.

9. elle
    at 8:50 am on April 17, 2012

@ mt: Tracy K. Smith, “Life on Mars” (Graywolf Press)

10. Morning Bites: Winston Churchill’s Style, Occupy Sondheim, Pennsylvania Robots, Nick Dybek, and More | Vol. 1 Brooklyn
    at 9:26 am on April 17, 2012

[…] No Pulitzer for fiction this year.  Nick Moran at The Millions calls it a “curious statement.”  […]

11. Bob
    at 10:36 am on April 17, 2012

Why weren’t Art of Fielding or the Marriage Plot nominated? I mean, they weren’t that great, but better than Swamplandia! for sure…

12. Brian
    at 10:58 am on April 17, 2012

Train Dreams is a reprint from The Paris Review of nearly a decade ago; it is not a new piece of work published in the last 12 mos. The Pale King was incomplete and at its end cobbled together by DFW’s editors. I can’t speak to Russell’s book, other than the lack of interest in it which precludes me from doing so. Seems to me that either a) the committee is flat-out lazy and unwilling to truly investigate American lit (a marked turn from the BLP win by Paul Harding a couple of years ago); or b) they are very specifically saying that American fiction was woeful these past 12 mos., and undeserving of celebration. I find the latter hard to believe. I guess my issue is less with an award not being given because of lack of agreement or consensus (contests do this all the time, and it is no enormous thing at this point) than it is that the nominees are so undeserving (well, two of three IMO; again, no opinion of the Russell). But then I suppose awards in general are fairly arbitrary; just look at the awards given for film…

13. Andy
    at 12:04 pm on April 17, 2012

I Agree

14. Oy Vey
    at 1:03 pm on April 17, 2012

I love Karen Russell–her first story collection was quirky and inspiring–but Swamplandia proved that she is still a young and unformed writer. All year I was surprised as it made several top ten lists, because in general I doubt that there can be an entire year when no truly noteworthy fiction is published.

15. ZK
    at 1:24 pm on April 17, 2012

What Oy Vey said. Russell’s short stories are magnificent. The excerpt from “Swamplandia” that was published in The New Yorker was magnificent. The novel is one that I could not finish.

Plenty of novels from 2011 are worthy of the prize. “Leaving the Atocha Station” comes to mind.

16. MIDWEEKERY « Furious Horses
    at 8:13 pm on April 17, 2012

[…] You can read excerpts from most of the shortlisted books in all Literature categories here at The Millions. You can also read some interesting commentary from Laura Miller at Salon and Bethanne Patrick at […]

17. Kris
    at 10:25 am on April 18, 2012

This article in the NY Times seems to say that the process involves a very small jury of writers picking the finalists, which then go up to the larger Pulitzer committee for a vote.

My guess is that the jury members all assumed DFW would win because it would be his last shot at a Pulitzer. I’m glad it didn’t win however, because while it is a shame he’s gone, the book feels very unfinished. I’m glad they took the time to put it together, because there are breathtakingly beautiful sections. As a whole I think it was lacking though.

I loved Swamplandia! and didn’t find it uneven at all, but I can understand why they might not have given it to a debut novel or, for that matter, a reprint of a novella from 2002.

Anyway, it seems the problem may have lain in the smaller jury sending up a batch of three unlikely contenders.

18. Shelley
    at 11:47 am on April 19, 2012

The comment above: “they weren’t that great.”

That says it all.

19. We Would Disappear Too: The Meaning of Modern Hopefulness « Scenes in Motion Sickness
    at 10:48 pm on May 1, 2012

[…] this language change came on the heels of the announcement of the Putlizer Prize, the aching void in the category of fiction. Like the controversy of hope, there is controversy among those who feel […]

20. Hipster Writing — Vampires in the Lemon Grove | A Fresh Tomorrow
    at 9:02 pm on October 15, 2013

[…] “genius” grant. I’ve heard of Russell, as her book Swamplandia! was up for a Pulitzer in 2012, but a winner was not chosen that year. When they announced the winners of the MacArthur […]