It’s official: Borders has announced it will begin liquidating its 399 bookstores this week. Store closures could begin as early as this Friday and will continue through September, according to the Times.
Michael Bourne is a staff writer at The Millions. He is a contributing editor for Poets & Writers magazine, and his essays and reviews have appeared in The New York Times Magazine, The Los Angeles Review of Books, and The Economist online. His fiction has appeared in print and online in Tin House, The Cortland Review, The Common, The Orange Coast Review, and River City. He lives in Vancouver, British Columbia.
More From Curiosities
- Hints of Granite September 2, 2014
- Color Lines September 2, 2014
- Growing Up September 2, 2014
- Perfectly Inexplicable September 2, 2014
- Tuesday New Release Day: French; Lerner; Finnegan; Iyer; Antrim; Mitchell September 2, 2014
- View All
Other Recent Articles
- Women in Clothes: A Collaborative Endeavor September 2, 2014
- In the Edges of the Maps: David Mitchell’s The Bone Clocks September 2, 2014
- Last Words: On Michael Hastings’s The Last Magazine: A Novel August 29, 2014
- On the Nightstand: On Deciding What to Read Next August 28, 2014
- Three Books to Get Over an Affair August 27, 2014
- View All
- Moe Murph says "So what’s the deal with all the Gigantic Thundering Nabobs of Boobery throwing shade on Alice Munro?..."Practical Art: On Teaching the Business of Creative Writing
- Moe Murp says "“But then, neither in my estimation is Alice Munro…” [Re: "value" in literature] Oh. No. He...."Practical Art: On Teaching the Business of Creative Writing
- Karl Wenclas says "Let’s get back on topic, Ed. The question was whether writing students should be taught about the business of..."Practical Art: On Teaching the Business of Creative Writing
- Eleanor Rigby says "Doesn’t take into account the returns system of publishing in the US, UK and no doubt some other countries: http://www.timeshighereduca..."Are eReaders Really Green?
- Feh says "Great essay, agree with a lot. Found the Horologist section really off. One quibble? I believe Crispin’s father was a..."In the Edges of the Maps: David Mitchell’s The Bone Clocks