Could this be the start of a trend? HarperCollins paid the singer Billy Joel $3 million for a memoir back in 2008. Joel wrote The Book of Joel, the publisher edited it, and a June publication date was set. Last week, however, Joel abruptly backed out of the deal and apparently will return the portion of the advance he’s been paid. His reason? He told the Associated Press he “was not all that interested in talking about the past.”
Bill Morris is a staff writer for The Millions. He is the author of the novels Motor City, All Souls' Day and the forthcoming Motor City Burning, to be published in 2014 by Pegasus Books. His writing has appeared in Granta, The New York Times, L.A. Weekly, the (London) Independent, The Washington Post Magazine, Popular Mechanics and The Daily Beast. He lives in New York City.
More From Curiosities
- Villain’s Law October 1, 2014
- Down to/Poetry September 30, 2014
- Witty Pun of Some Kind September 30, 2014
- Old Last Words September 30, 2014
- Kirkus Prize Finalists Announced September 30, 2014
- View All
Other Recent Articles
- Is There No Gender Equity in Nonfiction? October 1, 2014
- A Writer Walks Into a Bar. And Stays. September 30, 2014
- It’s 2014, Do You Know Where You Are? Bright Lights, Big City at 30 September 30, 2014
- God and Gab: The Second Sex by Michael Robbins September 29, 2014
- The Art of “The Novel” September 29, 2014
- View All
- Janelle says "The fact that woman dominate in memories but men write about economics and war reminds me of when men were bankers and women worked as..."Is There No Gender Equity in Nonfiction?
- Anne Boyd Rioux says "I agree that we need to get at the root of the problem, although we still very much need to document it as well. The more we call..."Is There No Gender Equity in Nonfiction?
- Ed Bast says "Is it possible that the judges selected the best books, in their opinion, without giving credence to gender? I get that equality is an..."Is There No Gender Equity in Nonfiction?
- Magdalena Edwards says "@Johannes Goransson – Thank you for your note! I was suspecting this announcement any minute. I have..."My Disease Feels Beautiful to Me: On the Work of Raúl Zurita
- Johannes Goransson says "Hi Magdalena, Thanks for this overview. Quick note: Action Books is going to publish Daniel Borzutzky’s..."My Disease Feels Beautiful to Me: On the Work of Raúl Zurita