Amazon has unveiled its “Kindle Singles” store. Says Amazon: “Typically between 5,000 and 30,000 words, each Kindle Single is intended to allow a single killer idea — well researched, well argued and well illustrated — to be expressed at its natural length.” In practice, this appears to mean short stories as well as journalistic pieces that have (perhaps) been expanded upon. For example, a piece from n+1 is included, “Octomom and the Politics of Babies” by Mark Greif. Amazon writes that in this piece Greif “updates his insightful essay from last spring, where only the journal’s 10,000 readers had access to his dead-on critique of the American media culture that produced its own eight-headed monster.” Bottom line: Amazon is fishing for higher quality content at the low price points that Amazon readers have come to crave.
C. Max Magee created and edits The Millions. He is co-editor of the collection of essays The Late American Novel: Writers on the Future of Books, called "funny, poignant, relentlessly thought-provoking" by The Atlantic. He has appeared on NPR’s “Weekend Edition”, Minnesota Public Radio’s “Midmorning”, and ABC Radio National's "The Book Show" and has written for a number of publications. He and his family live in New Jersey. If you'd like to correspond, please don't hesitate to email.
More From Curiosities
- The Ideal Essay October 2, 2014
- The Toast & The Butter October 2, 2014
- The Future Is Now October 1, 2014
- 1 Origin Story October 1, 2014
- Our New Enemy October 1, 2014
- View All
Other Recent Articles
- The Truce Between Fabulism and Realism: On Gabriel Garcia Marquez and the Modern Novel October 2, 2014
- An Inoculation Against Mistrust: Eula Biss’s On Immunity October 1, 2014
- Is There No Gender Equity in Nonfiction? October 1, 2014
- A Writer Walks Into a Bar. And Stays. September 30, 2014
- It’s 2014, Do You Know Where You Are? Bright Lights, Big City at 30 September 30, 2014
- View All
- Janelle says "When my son had his mandatory DTP vaccine before heading into seventh grade, I learned about the importance of vaccines. My..."An Inoculation Against Mistrust: Eula Biss’s On Immunity
- Charles Finch says "Tony, absolutely right – I often think about how Zuckerman never returns to round..."The Truce Between Fabulism and Realism: On Gabriel Garcia Marquez and the Modern Novel
- Tony M says "Within the first couple paragraphs I found myself mumbling “Roth.” And li and behold,..."The Truce Between Fabulism and Realism: On Gabriel Garcia Marquez and the Modern Novel
- Ed Bast says "timble I get your point, but you lose me re: “Capital”. Are you suggesting a 700-page book on economics based on decades worth of..."Is There No Gender Equity in Nonfiction?
- timble says "“Do you think that, on average, non-fiction awards should be equally awarded to books on “male friendship in your 30s” and those on World..."Is There No Gender Equity in Nonfiction?