Amazon has unveiled its “Kindle Singles” store. Says Amazon: “Typically between 5,000 and 30,000 words, each Kindle Single is intended to allow a single killer idea — well researched, well argued and well illustrated — to be expressed at its natural length.” In practice, this appears to mean short stories as well as journalistic pieces that have (perhaps) been expanded upon. For example, a piece from n+1 is included, “Octomom and the Politics of Babies” by Mark Greif. Amazon writes that in this piece Greif “updates his insightful essay from last spring, where only the journal’s 10,000 readers had access to his dead-on critique of the American media culture that produced its own eight-headed monster.” Bottom line: Amazon is fishing for higher quality content at the low price points that Amazon readers have come to crave.
C. Max Magee created and edits The Millions. He is co-editor of the collection of essays The Late American Novel: Writers on the Future of Books, called "funny, poignant, relentlessly thought-provoking" by The Atlantic. He and his family live in New Jersey. If you'd like to correspond, please don't hesitate to email.
More From Curiosities
- Imagine the Card Catalog October 26, 2016
- Do You Have That in Paperback October 26, 2016
- POTUS Picks October 25, 2016
- Tuesday New Release Day: Jin; Saizarbitoria; Jackson; Carson; Conroy; Boyle October 25, 2016
- Step Aside Shakes October 24, 2016
- View All
Other Recent Articles
- Ellery Queen’s Mystery Magazine Turns 75 October 26, 2016
- Our Great Contrarian: On Turkish Humor Writer Aziz Nesin October 26, 2016
- Paul Beatty Wins the 2016 Man Booker Prize October 25, 2016
- Amputations and Oversights: On Marc Nieson’s ‘Schoolhouse’ October 25, 2016
- Pressing Closer: On Brit Bennett’s ‘The Mothers’ October 25, 2016
- View All
- Heather Curran says "So i am happy for Beatty, but I no longer care about the Booker Prize, a prize that used to excite me, especially the long list, but..."Paul Beatty Wins the 2016 Man Booker Prize
- steven augustine says "A genuinely hilarious and affirmatively-active nod to that shoddy, second-rate effort from Mr Beatty (and hot on the heels of the..."Paul Beatty Wins the 2016 Man Booker Prize
- Elliott says "Great post! I think that, on the talent vs. work balance of things, more people are born with a chance to be a very good writer (if they..."Magical Thinking: Talent and the Cult of Craft
- Elizabeth Fisher says "So sad of a commentary- You should see high school Libraries. Mine is meeting the needs of our students and I work hard to..."The Library Is Dead. Long Live the Library!
- Moe Murph says "@MarkHG Point well made, MarkHG."A Very Special Millions Correction