I read Satan in Goray by Isaac Bashevis Singer — and left it in Illinois for my mother when I was visiting. She suffers from serious dementia, but expressed excitement about this book and wanted to read it. It’s set in 17th-century Poland — during the aftermath of a catastrophic massacre of the Jews. Messiahs and Devils abound in this book amid the 17th century music Singer has miraculously composed. My mother was born in a similar place in this vicinity. My mother told me her mother died of fear. They were all terribly mad.
They were all terribly mad.
Diane Williams is the editor of NOON. Her most recent book of fiction, It Was Like My Trying to Have a Tender-Hearted Nature, a novella and stories, was published by FC2 in 2007.
More From Year in Reading
- Year in Reading Outro December 23, 2015
- A Year in Reading: Kate Harding December 22, 2015
- A Year in Reading: Lauren Holmes December 22, 2015
- A Year in Reading: Maggie Nelson December 22, 2015
- A Year in Reading: Rachel Eliza Griffiths December 21, 2015
- View All
Other Recent Articles
- The Proust Book Club: The View From Age 38 February 9, 2016
- Transfigurations of Self and Soul: Four Essential Essay Collections February 9, 2016
- The Millions Top Ten: January 2016 February 8, 2016
- The Contents of His Head: On A.O. Scott’s ‘Better Living Through Criticism’ February 8, 2016
- No You or Me: On Love, Death, and the Kindle February 5, 2016
- View All
- Bruna Dantas Lobato says "Thanks, Phil! We’ve fixed it."Finish Your Novel
- brianna says "I have a Kindle, but I don’t use it. I thought I would love reading on it, but to me, there is nothing better than an actual book..."No You or Me: On Love, Death, and the Kindle
- phil says "Hey, both those links go back to the old “Find Your Title” article."Finish Your Novel
- Bill says "Don’t forget Chris Offutt’s new memoir, My..."Tuesday New Release Day: Wray; Tennant-Moore; Wink; Sorrentino; de Kerangal; Gustine; Barbery; Silva; Warlick; Enrigue; Amdahl
- Doug says "I still love the feel of an actual book in my hands but since my wife bought me a kindle the first year it came out I have bought and read..."No You or Me: On Love, Death, and the Kindle