I read Satan in Goray by Isaac Bashevis Singer — and left it in Illinois for my mother when I was visiting. She suffers from serious dementia, but expressed excitement about this book and wanted to read it. It’s set in 17th-century Poland — during the aftermath of a catastrophic massacre of the Jews. Messiahs and Devils abound in this book amid the 17th century music Singer has miraculously composed. My mother was born in a similar place in this vicinity. My mother told me her mother died of fear. They were all terribly mad.
They were all terribly mad.
Diane Williams is the editor of NOON. Her most recent book of fiction, It Was Like My Trying to Have a Tender-Hearted Nature, a novella and stories, was published by FC2 in 2007.
More From Year in Reading
- A Year in Reading: 2014 Wrap-Up December 23, 2014
- A Year in Reading: Charles Finch December 22, 2014
- A Year in Reading: Michael Robbins December 22, 2014
- A Year in Reading: Elizabeth Minkel December 21, 2014
- A Year in Reading: Matt Seidel December 21, 2014
- View All
Other Recent Articles
- The Best Friend There Is: Keeping Time with Brazenhead Books July 2, 2015
- Let Us Now Be Grateful That They’re (Finally!) (Honestly!) (Really Really Really!) Dead July 2, 2015
- The Manliness of Joan Didion July 1, 2015
- Two Lives: On Hanya Yanagihara and Atticus Lish June 30, 2015
- Something You Can Use: The Writer’s Self-Healing Wound June 29, 2015
- View All
- Kimbereley says "Obviously, I’m late to this dance, but that won’t keep me from speaking up. I grew up in Northern Virginia and have traveled..."The Old Corner Bookstore Is Now A Chipotle
- MK says "Whoops! I fell prey to the temptation to comment after reading the blurb instead of the entire article. I wasn’t able to delete my earlier comment, so please feel..."Too Dark for TV
- MK says "A part of me wonders if there’s a business reason for this like ownership of the film and TV adaptation rights. A famous American novel might generate more Hollywood..."Too Dark for TV
- Ann Marie Shields says "I have known Michael Seidenberg since 1974? or thereabouts. I lived in the apartment building on E 84th St with..."The Best Friend There Is: Keeping Time with Brazenhead Books
- Sven says "Out on the road today, I saw a DEADHEAD sticker on a Cadillac A little voice inside my head said,..."Let Us Now Be Grateful That They’re (Finally!) (Honestly!) (Really Really Really!) Dead