I read Satan in Goray by Isaac Bashevis Singer — and left it in Illinois for my mother when I was visiting. She suffers from serious dementia, but expressed excitement about this book and wanted to read it. It’s set in 17th-century Poland — during the aftermath of a catastrophic massacre of the Jews. Messiahs and Devils abound in this book amid the 17th century music Singer has miraculously composed. My mother was born in a similar place in this vicinity. My mother told me her mother died of fear. They were all terribly mad.
They were all terribly mad.
Diane Williams is the editor of NOON. Her most recent book of fiction, It Was Like My Trying to Have a Tender-Hearted Nature, a novella and stories, was published by FC2 in 2007.
More From Year in Reading
- Year in Reading Outro December 23, 2015
- A Year in Reading: Kate Harding December 22, 2015
- A Year in Reading: Lauren Holmes December 22, 2015
- A Year in Reading: Maggie Nelson December 22, 2015
- A Year in Reading: Rachel Eliza Griffiths December 21, 2015
- View All
Other Recent Articles
- Team Ladislaw: What Henry James (and Everyone Else) Gets Wrong About Middlemarch May 26, 2016
- Ethical Vertigo and the Human Genome: On Siddhartha Mukherjee’s ‘The Gene’ May 25, 2016
- Instead of a Review: On Reading Diana Athill May 25, 2016
- Living Clichéd Lives: On Hollywood Biopics May 24, 2016
- Svetlana Alexievich Is No Useful Idiot May 23, 2016
- View All
- Moe Murph says "Hi Heather and Bill, …. my comments in spirit of wonder and curiosity, and as blessed relief from writing project that has left me..."Living Clichéd Lives: On Hollywood Biopics
- Heather Curran says "Derryk, I beseech you, go into a star bucks, wait inline with the hipsters order a grande (or super big) Americano black. Then tell me..."Confessions of a Reluctant Startalian
- Heather Curran says "Well however off topic, it is fantastic to see il’ja back. Where have you been damn..."Justifying Our Existence: The Antioch Review and the Transgender ‘Debate’
- Heather Curran says "Sorry for mistakes in typing. I will definitely never be hired to be a proof reader!!"Living Clichéd Lives: On Hollywood Biopics
- Heather Curran says "Bill thank you for the compliment, made my day after a rough week. Maureen I think Bill’s acknowledgement to what I said in no..."Living Clichéd Lives: On Hollywood Biopics