I read Satan in Goray by Isaac Bashevis Singer — and left it in Illinois for my mother when I was visiting. She suffers from serious dementia, but expressed excitement about this book and wanted to read it. It’s set in 17th-century Poland — during the aftermath of a catastrophic massacre of the Jews. Messiahs and Devils abound in this book amid the 17th century music Singer has miraculously composed. My mother was born in a similar place in this vicinity. My mother told me her mother died of fear. They were all terribly mad.
They were all terribly mad.
Diane Williams is the editor of NOON. Her most recent book of fiction, It Was Like My Trying to Have a Tender-Hearted Nature, a novella and stories, was published by FC2 in 2007.
More From Year in Reading
- Wrapping Up A Year in Reading 2013 December 20, 2013
- A Year In Reading: Charles Blackstone December 19, 2013
- A Year in Reading: Ann Hood December 19, 2013
- A Year in Reading: Bennett Sims December 19, 2013
- A Year in Reading: Kevin Hartnett December 18, 2013
- View All
Other Recent Articles
- Only Disconnect: Ben Lerner’s 10:04 September 16, 2014
- Dan Epstein on the Hairy Goofy Polyester Glory of 1970s Baseball September 16, 2014
- The Profits of Dreaming: On Fiction and Sleep September 15, 2014
- Ship of Fools: On Laila Lalami’s The Moor’s Account September 12, 2014
- Heart of Darkness: On William Giraldi’s Hold the Dark September 11, 2014
- View All
- Heavy Bored says "I think the general bafflement in responses here comes from the fact that the reviewer, for all his well-deserved success elsewhere, has..."Only Disconnect: Ben Lerner’s 10:04
- Ed Bast says "There is no way the “writer” of this “review” actually read 10:04. Actual reviews of the book indicate it’s yet..."Only Disconnect: Ben Lerner’s 10:04
- Anon says "You are supposed to read this novel because the publishing world has decided that Ben Lerner represents you, and thus, what he thinks and says..."Only Disconnect: Ben Lerner’s 10:04
- Andrew says "This is clearly a well-written essay; a review, it is not, however."Only Disconnect: Ben Lerner’s 10:04
- neal says "It is amazing how little presence 10:04 has in this article (certainly this isn’t a review, is it?). I read Leaving the Atocha Station..."Only Disconnect: Ben Lerner’s 10:04