I read Satan in Goray by Isaac Bashevis Singer — and left it in Illinois for my mother when I was visiting. She suffers from serious dementia, but expressed excitement about this book and wanted to read it. It’s set in 17th-century Poland — during the aftermath of a catastrophic massacre of the Jews. Messiahs and Devils abound in this book amid the 17th century music Singer has miraculously composed. My mother was born in a similar place in this vicinity. My mother told me her mother died of fear. They were all terribly mad.
They were all terribly mad.
Diane Williams is the editor of NOON. Her most recent book of fiction, It Was Like My Trying to Have a Tender-Hearted Nature, a novella and stories, was published by FC2 in 2007.
More From Year in Reading
- Wrapping Up A Year in Reading 2013 December 20, 2013
- A Year In Reading: Charles Blackstone December 19, 2013
- A Year in Reading: Ann Hood December 19, 2013
- A Year in Reading: Bennett Sims December 19, 2013
- A Year in Reading: Kevin Hartnett December 18, 2013
- View All
Other Recent Articles
- A History of Love (of Bookstores) April 16, 2014
- A Story is Worth a Thousand Data Points: Michael Lewis’s Flash Boys April 15, 2014
- Crimean Rites April 15, 2014
- The 2014 Pulitzer for Fiction Goes to Donna Tartt’s Goldfinch April 14, 2014
- Literature on the Installment Plan: A Review Of Best European Fiction 2014 April 14, 2014
- View All
- Jesse Rafael-Chung says "Sir Trevor, much as I agree with your position that there is no value to be gained in reading the..."Literature on the Installment Plan: A Review Of Best European Fiction 2014
- H. says "Loved this article! Cleverly done and made me desperate to somehow get to my favorite three bookstores in Chicago simultaneously."A History of Love (of Bookstores)
- Fernando Chaves says "There is this wonderful book by Spanish author Jorge Carrión called “Librerías” (Bookstores) that you should read. I hope it gets..."A History of Love (of Bookstores)
- G. says "I worked in a book store during my undergrad years. The pay was pretty lousy but it was the discount and the atmosphere that kept me on for a few years...."A History of Love (of Bookstores)
- BDF says "Would that I could, P Stout, but the book has already been published!"Hug Your Darlings, Give the Moon the Finger: Writers On Delight