I read Satan in Goray by Isaac Bashevis Singer — and left it in Illinois for my mother when I was visiting. She suffers from serious dementia, but expressed excitement about this book and wanted to read it. It’s set in 17th-century Poland — during the aftermath of a catastrophic massacre of the Jews. Messiahs and Devils abound in this book amid the 17th century music Singer has miraculously composed. My mother was born in a similar place in this vicinity. My mother told me her mother died of fear. They were all terribly mad.
They were all terribly mad.
Diane Williams is the editor of NOON. Her most recent book of fiction, It Was Like My Trying to Have a Tender-Hearted Nature, a novella and stories, was published by FC2 in 2007.
More From Year in Reading
- Wrapping Up A Year in Reading 2013 December 20, 2013
- A Year In Reading: Charles Blackstone December 19, 2013
- A Year in Reading: Ann Hood December 19, 2013
- A Year in Reading: Bennett Sims December 19, 2013
- A Year in Reading: Kevin Hartnett December 18, 2013
- View All
Other Recent Articles
- When It Becomes Clear What It Is That They Will Be Doing, I Will Be Very Interested in Their Doings: On The Best of McSweeney’s April 23, 2014
- 450 Years of Juliets: On Women Making Shakespeare April 23, 2014
- Short Stories, Italian Style: On Francesca Marciano’s The Other Language April 22, 2014
- Sacrament of Fiction: On Becoming a Writer and Not a Priest April 22, 2014
- Best Coast: ZYZZYVA’s 100th Issue April 21, 2014
- View All
- Laura Petelle says "I’m also a devoted reader of The Millions, and I think it was your review that initially pointed me to the book, so I’m thrilled to..."Theo Decker’s Pinterest
- Beniy says "The books I read and reread as a child and adolescent I continue now to read aloud each year to my fourth grade students, now going on 14 years: The Hobbit,..."The Books We Come Back To
- sac burberry cuir says "Hi, I do think this is a great website. I stumbledupon it I am going to return yet again since I book-marked it. Money and..."A Day in the Life of the Iowa Writers’ Workshop
- Amber Paulen says "Last summer I was lucky enough to attend a conversation between Francesca Marciano and Jhumpa..."Short Stories, Italian Style: On Francesca Marciano’s The Other Language
- Barry Knister says "Crucial as well to tea-towel fiction is a prohibition against work. Characters are free to buy plates and break them, walk the dog or correct..."Literary Fiction is a Genre: A List