I read Satan in Goray by Isaac Bashevis Singer — and left it in Illinois for my mother when I was visiting. She suffers from serious dementia, but expressed excitement about this book and wanted to read it. It’s set in 17th-century Poland — during the aftermath of a catastrophic massacre of the Jews. Messiahs and Devils abound in this book amid the 17th century music Singer has miraculously composed. My mother was born in a similar place in this vicinity. My mother told me her mother died of fear. They were all terribly mad.
They were all terribly mad.
Diane Williams is the editor of NOON. Her most recent book of fiction, It Was Like My Trying to Have a Tender-Hearted Nature, a novella and stories, was published by FC2 in 2007.
More From Year in Reading
- A Year in Reading: 2014 Wrap-Up December 23, 2014
- A Year in Reading: Charles Finch December 22, 2014
- A Year in Reading: Michael Robbins December 22, 2014
- A Year in Reading: Elizabeth Minkel December 21, 2014
- A Year in Reading: Matt Seidel December 21, 2014
- View All
Other Recent Articles
- The Book Report: Episode 18: ‘Friends’ April 24, 2015
- Fish Out of Water: On Heather Cocks and Jessica Morgan’s ‘The Royal We’ April 24, 2015
- A Conversation with a Stranger: Or, The Second Time I Tried to Read ‘War and Peace’ April 23, 2015
- Hinge of History: Nine Books for the Post-Ferguson Era April 22, 2015
- Creating the Literary World of the Future: A Response to VIDA’s Recommendations April 21, 2015
- View All
- PJO says "This is a truly dreadful book. Really, really, awful. Long (too long) and simply boring. If ever..."Murder Goes to Prep School: A Conversation About Tana French’s The Secret Place
- Naseer Ahmad says ":)"Tolstoy or Dostoevsky? 8 Experts on Who’s Greater
- Naseer Ahmad says "George Orwell"Tolstoy or Dostoevsky? 8 Experts on Who’s Greater
- Gert Loveday says "I love this! Exactly the sort of thing that happens in a novel (and also in life)...."A Conversation with a Stranger: Or, The Second Time I Tried to Read ‘War and Peace’
- Sanfra says "I nerd the imagem of the angram"PEN World Voices Report: Lost in Translation at the Anagrama Panel