I read Satan in Goray by Isaac Bashevis Singer — and left it in Illinois for my mother when I was visiting. She suffers from serious dementia, but expressed excitement about this book and wanted to read it. It’s set in 17th-century Poland — during the aftermath of a catastrophic massacre of the Jews. Messiahs and Devils abound in this book amid the 17th century music Singer has miraculously composed. My mother was born in a similar place in this vicinity. My mother told me her mother died of fear. They were all terribly mad.
They were all terribly mad.
Diane Williams is the editor of NOON. Her most recent book of fiction, It Was Like My Trying to Have a Tender-Hearted Nature, a novella and stories, was published by FC2 in 2007.
More From Year in Reading
- Year in Reading Outro December 23, 2015
- A Year in Reading: Kate Harding December 22, 2015
- A Year in Reading: Lauren Holmes December 22, 2015
- A Year in Reading: Maggie Nelson December 22, 2015
- A Year in Reading: Rachel Eliza Griffiths December 21, 2015
- View All
Other Recent Articles
- The Many Labors of Philip Levine August 24, 2016
- Screaming Notes the Human Soul Seldom Makes Audible: On Raul Brandão’s ‘The Poor’ August 24, 2016
- Being Bad Is Sad: Bojack Horseman & Boethius August 23, 2016
- What Percival Everett’s ‘Erasure’ Can Tell Us about Authenticity August 23, 2016
- An Open Letter to the Teenager Who Ruined My Copy of ‘Ragtime’ August 22, 2016
- View All
- Heather Curran says "I read this article a couple times as race interests me, but don’t really understand what the..."What Percival Everett’s ‘Erasure’ Can Tell Us about Authenticity
- Heather Curran says "I second Catherine M. Wilson. Eeesh the book is still in print, buy a knew one, or check more..."An Open Letter to the Teenager Who Ruined My Copy of ‘Ragtime’
- Ada says "I also do think that this movie is underestimated. I loved it, the acting, the story. It also was so inspiring for me..."Don’t Believe the Haters: In Defense of ‘Genius’
- Ann says "What about un-American writers we wish we’d gotten a chance to meet in this life (but they’re too old, it’ll never happen)? The wonderful John..."Octogenarian Hotties
- m r shetty says "t just finished writing 6 volumes of english couplets page count=5094 couplet count=137,788 word count=1,168,687. M R Shetty"The World’s Longest Novel