I read Satan in Goray by Isaac Bashevis Singer — and left it in Illinois for my mother when I was visiting. She suffers from serious dementia, but expressed excitement about this book and wanted to read it. It’s set in 17th-century Poland — during the aftermath of a catastrophic massacre of the Jews. Messiahs and Devils abound in this book amid the 17th century music Singer has miraculously composed. My mother was born in a similar place in this vicinity. My mother told me her mother died of fear. They were all terribly mad.
They were all terribly mad.
Diane Williams is the editor of NOON. Her most recent book of fiction, It Was Like My Trying to Have a Tender-Hearted Nature, a novella and stories, was published by FC2 in 2007.
More From Year in Reading
- Year in Reading Outro December 23, 2015
- A Year in Reading: Kate Harding December 22, 2015
- A Year in Reading: Lauren Holmes December 22, 2015
- A Year in Reading: Maggie Nelson December 22, 2015
- A Year in Reading: Rachel Eliza Griffiths December 21, 2015
- View All
Other Recent Articles
- What Is It About Baseball? W.P. Kinsella, José Fernández, and the Dust of the 2016 Season October 24, 2016
- Running in the Wake October 24, 2016
- Hollywood English Class: On Margaret Atwood’s ‘Hag-Seed’ October 21, 2016
- Henry James for Every Day of the Year October 21, 2016
- How I Got It: Snoop Doggy Dogg’s ‘Doggystyle’ October 20, 2016
- View All
- Elizabeth Fisher says "So sad of a commentary- You should see high school Libraries. Mine is meeting the needs of our students and I work hard to..."The Library Is Dead. Long Live the Library!
- Moe Murph says "@MarkHG Point well made, MarkHG."A Very Special Millions Correction
- priskill says "This almost makes me want to both Run and Read FW — 2 things I have never done — lovely and inspiring piece."Running in the Wake
- Will says "In my late 50’s now, having read Ulysses for the first time a couple years ago, having listened to my first audio books in the last year, and being a..."Running in the Wake
- Mrs. Millions says "This is beautiful, Derek :)."Running in the Wake