I read Satan in Goray by Isaac Bashevis Singer — and left it in Illinois for my mother when I was visiting. She suffers from serious dementia, but expressed excitement about this book and wanted to read it. It’s set in 17th-century Poland — during the aftermath of a catastrophic massacre of the Jews. Messiahs and Devils abound in this book amid the 17th century music Singer has miraculously composed. My mother was born in a similar place in this vicinity. My mother told me her mother died of fear. They were all terribly mad.
They were all terribly mad.
Diane Williams is the editor of NOON. Her most recent book of fiction, It Was Like My Trying to Have a Tender-Hearted Nature, a novella and stories, was published by FC2 in 2007.
More From Year in Reading
- Wrapping Up A Year in Reading 2013 December 20, 2013
- A Year In Reading: Charles Blackstone December 19, 2013
- A Year in Reading: Ann Hood December 19, 2013
- A Year in Reading: Bennett Sims December 19, 2013
- A Year in Reading: Kevin Hartnett December 18, 2013
- View All
Other Recent Articles
- The Restless Dead: On Hadrien Laroche’s Orphans October 30, 2014
- Getting to Know the Presidents, Part 2: From the Compromisers to the Beards October 29, 2014
- ‘The Blank Screen Is the Enemy': The Millions Interviews David Mitchell October 29, 2014
- The Timeless – and Timely – Allure of the Near Future October 28, 2014
- Home of the Brave: On Chris Walsh’s Cowardice: A Brief History October 27, 2014
- View All
- David Biddle says "Thanks for letting us know. Many people were never aware of Kinnell, but without doubt he was one of greatest poets, speaking for what it meant to be..."Galway Kinnell Passes Away
- Janelle says "It is interesting how certain authors seem obsessed with certain themes. Orphans and death do go hand in hand, unfortunately. I..."The Restless Dead: On Hadrien Laroche’s Orphans
- Lauren says "I just read the book for the first time — didn’t know there was a movie. The book left me with feelings of vagueness…. I..."Modern Library Revue: #97 The Sheltering Sky
- timble says "“How dare we. Just so we can have our air conditioning and patio heaters. How dare we.”..."‘The Blank Screen Is the Enemy': The Millions Interviews David Mitchell
- Jack M says "I love Mitchell’s books, but this one fell flat about halfway through. I hope the next one will go..."‘The Blank Screen Is the Enemy': The Millions Interviews David Mitchell