I read Satan in Goray by Isaac Bashevis Singer — and left it in Illinois for my mother when I was visiting. She suffers from serious dementia, but expressed excitement about this book and wanted to read it. It’s set in 17th-century Poland — during the aftermath of a catastrophic massacre of the Jews. Messiahs and Devils abound in this book amid the 17th century music Singer has miraculously composed. My mother was born in a similar place in this vicinity. My mother told me her mother died of fear. They were all terribly mad.
They were all terribly mad.
Diane Williams is the editor of NOON. Her most recent book of fiction, It Was Like My Trying to Have a Tender-Hearted Nature, a novella and stories, was published by FC2 in 2007.
More From Year in Reading
- A Year in Reading: 2014 Wrap-Up December 23, 2014
- A Year in Reading: Charles Finch December 22, 2014
- A Year in Reading: Michael Robbins December 22, 2014
- A Year in Reading: Elizabeth Minkel December 21, 2014
- A Year in Reading: Matt Seidel December 21, 2014
- View All
Other Recent Articles
- Before They Were Notable: 2015 November 27, 2015
- Thirty Minutes at a Used-Book Sale November 27, 2015
- The Filmable Miss Highsmith November 25, 2015
- Hanging ‘Em Up: On Reading About (and Not Watching) Sports November 25, 2015
- A Visit to Planet North Korea: On Adam Johnson’s ‘The Orphan Master’s Son’ November 24, 2015
- View All
- Evelyn Walsh says "afterthought re: Russo– Nobody’s Fool moved me deeply and everyone who has read it in the family is in the habit of quoting certain..."Thirty Minutes at a Used-Book Sale
- Doug says "What a nice way to spend some time and find some finds. I like it. Doug"Thirty Minutes at a Used-Book Sale
- Kathy @ Kathy Reads Fiction says "I missed our local Friends of the Library book sale/fundraiser this year, sadly. It’s something I look forward to each..."Thirty Minutes at a Used-Book Sale
- Evelyn Walsh says "If book sales are wrong, I don’t wanna be right. The AAUW book sale is especially great–"Thirty Minutes at a Used-Book Sale
- Shane Danielsen says "‘This formula brazenly contravenes the Hollywood commandments that evil must be punished and everything must come up roses. Minghella, like..."The Filmable Miss Highsmith