I read Satan in Goray by Isaac Bashevis Singer — and left it in Illinois for my mother when I was visiting. She suffers from serious dementia, but expressed excitement about this book and wanted to read it. It’s set in 17th-century Poland — during the aftermath of a catastrophic massacre of the Jews. Messiahs and Devils abound in this book amid the 17th century music Singer has miraculously composed. My mother was born in a similar place in this vicinity. My mother told me her mother died of fear. They were all terribly mad.
They were all terribly mad.
Diane Williams is the editor of NOON. Her most recent book of fiction, It Was Like My Trying to Have a Tender-Hearted Nature, a novella and stories, was published by FC2 in 2007.
More From Year in Reading
- Year in Reading Outro December 23, 2015
- A Year in Reading: Kate Harding December 22, 2015
- A Year in Reading: Lauren Holmes December 22, 2015
- A Year in Reading: Maggie Nelson December 22, 2015
- A Year in Reading: Rachel Eliza Griffiths December 21, 2015
- View All
Other Recent Articles
- Dogs of War: Bronwen Dickey on Pit Bulls June 24, 2016
- A Summer Reading List for Wretched Assholes Who Prefer to Wallow in Someone Else’s Misery June 24, 2016
- Well Fed: Breastfeeding in Literature June 23, 2016
- Beyond Digital vs. Print: On How We Consume Media June 23, 2016
- Baby and the Book: On Rivka Galchen’s ‘Little Labors’ June 22, 2016
- View All
- Ellen says "You had me at “wretched assholes.” (To Scotty Cheese Curd: read “Accordion..."A Summer Reading List for Wretched Assholes Who Prefer to Wallow in Someone Else’s Misery
- Lisa says "You missed book 3 in the Outlander series. 🙃"Well Fed: Breastfeeding in Literature
- Elliott says "Really well written and loved the literary criticism of Hemingway, probably more than the “dig up decades old dirt on..."Ernest Hemingway: Middlebrow Revolutionary
- Cheryl Huerta says "Perhaps if one read the book one would recognize that the basis of their fear, prejudice or opinion was propaganda, myths and..."Dogs of War: Bronwen Dickey on Pit Bulls
- Dan says "There is a small group that wants this dog eradicated. But if we do, magically, make this dog extinct, we will still be left with the people that..."Dogs of War: Bronwen Dickey on Pit Bulls