I read Satan in Goray by Isaac Bashevis Singer — and left it in Illinois for my mother when I was visiting. She suffers from serious dementia, but expressed excitement about this book and wanted to read it. It’s set in 17th-century Poland — during the aftermath of a catastrophic massacre of the Jews. Messiahs and Devils abound in this book amid the 17th century music Singer has miraculously composed. My mother was born in a similar place in this vicinity. My mother told me her mother died of fear. They were all terribly mad.
They were all terribly mad.
Diane Williams is the editor of NOON. Her most recent book of fiction, It Was Like My Trying to Have a Tender-Hearted Nature, a novella and stories, was published by FC2 in 2007.
More From Year in Reading
- Year in Reading Outro December 23, 2015
- A Year in Reading: Kate Harding December 22, 2015
- A Year in Reading: Lauren Holmes December 22, 2015
- A Year in Reading: Maggie Nelson December 22, 2015
- A Year in Reading: Rachel Eliza Griffiths December 21, 2015
- View All
Other Recent Articles
- Spotify’s Hidden Literary Gems July 22, 2016
- Audio Only: On the Rise of the Literary Podcast July 22, 2016
- Everything Takes Longer than You Expect: The Millions Interviews Hannah Gersen July 21, 2016
- Is It Really So Wrong to Kill a Mockingbird? July 21, 2016
- Exquisite Masochism: On Sex and the Novel July 20, 2016
- View All
- Anon says "I’m not a straight white man, although I do pretend to be one on a daily basis so that I can enjoy all the perks that come with..."Audio Only: On the Rise of the Literary Podcast
- Brady Goodwin says "I felt/thought much of the same when reading this work. But I tempered it by reading “The Warmth of..."White Lives Matter: On Nancy Isenberg’s ‘White Trash’
- Bill Wolfe says "I’m a white male (which, evidently, is code for boring)…but my blog focuses exclusively on literary fiction by women..."Audio Only: On the Rise of the Literary Podcast
- Deb says "A SEVERED HEAD is undoubtedly one of Murdoch’s most transgressive novels and I agree with your..."Incest and Spouse Swapping: On Iris Murdoch’s ‘A Severed Head’
- Sean H says "I’m intrigued by the topic of literary podcasts and would like to continue reading but I got to the thing about “often white..."Audio Only: On the Rise of the Literary Podcast