Essays

Goodbye to Oprah’s Golden Ticket

By posted at 7:10 am on November 20, 2009 36

That sound you hear is a thousand book publicists wailing. Oprah Winfrey will announce today that her eponymous talk show will end in September 2011. That means that in less than two years, the ultimate book publicity coup will be off the table.

Oprah’s Book Club isn’t quite the powerhouse it once was. The club was started in 1996, a savvy move when neighborhood book clubs were in vogue with the Oprah demographic. The Book Club also was a way of distancing the show from its increasingly shock-oriented daytime peers (a format, we may forget, that Oprah once partook of.) In those early years of the Book Club, Oprah would often, though not always, chose a little-known, “mid-list” book that would become an overnight bestseller. In a literary world where writers are playing the lottery against the longest of odds, Oprah was the winning ticket.

covercoverThe Club earned a reputation, perhaps unfair to the Club and perhaps unfair to the books that were a part of it, as a redoubt of “women’s fiction,” but the selections were more varied than that, ranging from melodrama like Anita Shreve’s The Pilot’s Wife and Wally Lamb’s She’s Come Undone to more nuanced fare like Ernest J. Gaines’ A Lesson Before Dying and Breath, Eyes, Memory by Edwidge Danticat. The Club went on like this for about five years, selecting 10 or 12 books a year, and, with a flick of this magic wand, turning each one into a bestseller.

And then Jonathan Franzen came along. You can argue whether Franzen should have accepted Oprah’s selection as just another of many honors bestowed upon The Corrections or whether he had every right to exert some well-earned control over how his book was marketed, but one thing seems clear. Oprah had never contemplated the idea of someone turning her down.

After Franzen, the Book Club, as if trying to find its purpose again, meandered, initially with some fanfare, but increasing as an afterthought, through classics by Garcia Marquez, Tolstoy and others. The books still sold but she was only making a couple of selections a year, and some of the dazzle had leaked out of the enterprise. Then, to juice things up, Oprah announced that she would return to selecting living authors.

coverIn all the furor that followed the uncovering of James Frey’s confabulations in his memoir A Million Little Pieces, it’s easy to forget that prior to selecting Frey’s book, Oprah had actually announced that she was going to go back to picking books by living authors, and there was a good deal of discussion around this, as though “living author” was a genre you might find in the bookstore. But implicit in this announcement was a recognition that Oprah’s Book Club just wasn’t as exciting without the sub-plot of making an author an overnight millionaire and household name.

Or, to put it another way, What Oprah told the New York Times was, “I wanted to open the door and broaden the field… That allows me the opportunity to do what I like to do most, which is sit and talk to authors about their work. It’s kind of hard to do that when they’re dead.” But that was before Frey turned the whole thing into a circus, culminating with Oprah’s finger-wagging excoriation of Frey on her show.

Since the Franzen-Frey double-whammy, the Book Club hasn’t been quite the touchstone it once was. There some moments of cultural relevance, like the cognitive dissonance of Oprah selecting Cormac McCarthy’s The Road days before it won the Pulitzer, seeing an Oprah logo next to McCarthy’s name on the book cover, and later, her visit to his ranch for her show. But the Book Club remains an afterthought, with new selections happening only rarely (Uwem Akpan’s Say You’re One of Them in September was the first of 2009) and, while the books she picks still sell and publicists still get excited, the Club isn’t as much on the media radar, and no one wrings their hands about Oprah’s impact on literary culture any more.

This isn’t to say, however, that the Book Club was the only reason that Oprah was important to the publishing industry. Oprah had guests flogging books in categories outside of fiction and confessional memoir (and, yes, fictionalized confessional memoir) on the show all the time, and the big sales that followed for these celebrity memoirs, diet books, and self-help guides showed that, in publishing (and in every other business), landing Oprah was still the ultimate publicity coup. While gallons of ink were spilled on the Book Club’s literary taste, Oprah’s role was probably far more insidious with these other titles, most notably with her incessant flogging of the “power of positive thinking” pabulum found in The Secret. (Salon.com’s 2007 takedown of The Secret, and Oprah for hyping it, is essential reading.)

So, with the Book Club wasting away and the end of Oprah now in sight, what’s a publicist or mid-lister hoping for a miracle to do? The reality is that it’s hard to imagine our culture supporting an enterprise like Oprah’s Book Club again. In 1996, audiences were far less fragmented, and even a daytime show could command enough of the public’s attention to achieve the desired critical mass. Oprah is set to extend her media empire in new ways, as she’s launching her Oprah Winfrey Network (OWN) early 2011, and while word is she’ll do a daily show there, don’t be surprised if she takes the shift as an opportunity to retire the Book Club concept. And even if she doesn’t, OWN will be just another, and maybe smaller, piece of this already fragmented media landscape, and a new Book Club likely wouldn’t be the winning lottery ticket it once was.

Who knows, maybe she’ll get into publishing, instead. (I can almost hear the manuscripts flying her way.)

Bonus Link: The complete list of Oprah’s Book Club titles

36 Responses to “Goodbye to Oprah’s Golden Ticket”

1. About time!
    at 11:03 am on November 20, 2009

This move is about 5-10 years later than is should have been!

Maybe Frazen wanted his book to be a success on it’s own without Oprah leading her “flock of sheep” to it! Certainly a worthy endevor!!

2. Goodbye, Oprah
    at 4:23 pm on November 20, 2009

[…] her book club over a decade ago.  (For a great history of Oprah’s book club, check out Max’s rundown at The Millions.)  But that’s about to end.  Of course, she’ll still have her magazine, whose book […]

3. Danny
    at 11:09 pm on November 21, 2009

You’re wrong. Oprah matters. I work in a book store, and believe me, if Oprah names a book, we’ll sell a shit-load of it.

I’ve seen people come in for Anna Karenina because Oprah suggested it, see how big it is, and say, “Oh, that’s big,” and leave without the book.

To put it another way,Oprah can sell any book . . . unless it’s huge.

Fuck E-books.

-Danny Peters

4. Will
    at 6:37 am on November 22, 2009

And, Oprah’s just getting her own channel. Let’s not shit ourselves yet.

5. The Reading List « Replacement Blog
    at 3:12 pm on November 23, 2009

[…] via The Millions, a brief history of Oprah’s book club.  The construction of this history as a rise and fall hinging upon the Jonathan Franzen snub and […]

6. No More Daytime O? - SweetTalk on the Spot
    at 7:28 pm on November 23, 2009

[…] of daytime television for the past 25 years. Through her causes, charities, triumphant topics, and controversial moments, she’s become a big part of so many of our lives, I wonder how this change is going to effect […]

7. About time!
    at 11:22 am on November 30, 2009

Umm Danny, I never said Oprah doesn’t matter as far as book sales go! I used to work at a bookstore as well and I saw the flock as the rolled in the door after the book club announcements. My point was that she and her misguided, omnipotent attitude got old a long time ago!!

I respect Jonathan Frazen for not wanting to be a part of her book club. I think he wanted his book to be successful and not neccessarily because people blindly followed Oprah’s advice (and there are a frightening number of people who do so) to read it and immediately went out and bought it! If people can’t find their way to a good book without Oprah leading the way, I feel sorry for them!!

8. Jack M
    at 12:38 pm on January 14, 2010

It was tragic when, after announcing Anna Karenina as her latest book selection, Oprah had to soothe her viewers by saying “Don’t be scared (about the book’s length)”. After all, one reads a book a page at a time. What’s the difference between reading five 200 pg. books and one book at 1,000 pages? A sad reflection on today’s culture.

9. Carolyn Day
    at 9:22 pm on January 14, 2010

I can’t find where to go to find out if I’ve won! I did the oprah.com/goldenticket , but I don’t see anyplace to plug in the number to see if you’ve won. Help1 The number I have is P9P74U7J4T

10. Peg Ragner
    at 5:29 pm on January 15, 2010

I too can’t find where to go to find out if I’ve won! I did the oprah.com/golden ticket per instructed by the magazine, but there is no place to plug in the number. Help The number I have is 6ZT9HYJWGW

11. Lisbeth Harrje
    at 9:32 pm on January 15, 2010

My ticket # is XXYPLL6PNX, – for a chance to go to New York City on May 7-9. 2010 Please tell me how I can find out if I have won,

12. Dorothy Boggs
    at 11:06 pm on January 15, 2010

Can’t find where to check out my number to see if I won. my # is JLH7LNHL9U

13. Lucille Chess
    at 12:13 pm on January 16, 2010

My ticket # is yznxhwhng9, please let me know if I have a winning number. I would truely like to meet Oprah once before her show leaves the air. I am a 2 times cancer survivor and her show always has something that gives you some type of hope.

14. Gussie M. Busby
    at 6:34 pm on January 16, 2010

My ticket Number 7 UTGNGJ44X

15. Gussie M. Busby
    at 6:37 pm on January 16, 2010

THE TICKET NUMBER YOU RECEIVED IS IT ON YOUR LIST? I WOULD LOVE TO BE NEAR OPRAH
    THANKS
    GMBusby

16. Gussie M. Busby
    at 6:40 pm on January 16, 2010

THanks, I am ready May 25 is my birthday what a celebration I’ll be 77 I know I cannot keep up with you young folks but I’ll try SMILES
    Thanks for consaiderations
    G.M.Busby

17. Gussie M. Busby
    at 6:40 pm on January 16, 2010

Thanks for considerations
    G.M.Busby

18. willard e. mack
    at 10:51 am on January 17, 2010

I cannot find the place to plug in my number., However my number is
    xllwguuwwht.
    Thanking you in advance,

Mr. and Mrs Mack

19. Debby Wood
    at 12:20 pm on January 18, 2010

I cannot find the site to plug in my number as well. Here is my Number N6txhptzhw. I hope that I get the chance to attend. Thank you!

20. Jacquelyn Vaughn
    at 1:38 pm on January 19, 2010

I cannot find the site to plug in my number. Here is my number YY9Z4LWPW9.Please informed me if I Am a winner.

21. Catherine Davis
    at 4:42 pm on January 19, 2010

my ticket number no. is L6yj96zp9g Please notify or call at 702- 642-0183 If I won thank you. Also, this is my sons e-dress feel free to contact regarding.

22. Catherine Davis
    at 4:43 pm on January 19, 2010

I want to see Oprah

23. Ginny Chris
    at 7:04 pm on January 19, 2010

I’ve been trying for day to see if I can but my number in someplace but can’t find where. My number is wtnw4zn74y. Can someone tell me how to see if I won.

24. Paula Kovar
    at 11:14 pm on January 19, 2010

I love the magazine and have given it for a gift to several family members. Great article on jeans this month!
    I can’t find out where to submit my number for the LiVE YOUR BEST LIFE Weekend. My number is JWHWY J647U. I would appreciate your assistance.

Thank you, Oprah, for all that you do for so many.

25. Merinda J. Sims
    at 1:39 pm on January 21, 2010

Good Afternoon Ms. Oprah,

I would love to be visit you for a weekend in New York. My ticket number is
    X9HLNJNGYH because I could find a location for it. I pray that is a bless number and lucky!

Thank you and may God bless you always,

Merinda

26. DENISE BARNES
    at 12:52 am on January 22, 2010

ONE OF MY FRIENDS GAVE ME A SUBSCRIPTION TO MY GAL OPRAH”s MAG. AND i HAVE THIS TICKET p7NLLG6YXU i HOPE TO SEE ALL OF YOU THERE. I WISH Dr. OZ would be there too ,he is my favorite. I work in a Hospital in the state of California . Thank you for your life time of thoughts I will always use them in my life. thanks denise 1/21/10

27. Donna Demarest
    at 10:47 pm on January 22, 2010

Hi Oprah, Have my ticket but do not know where to find my number so here it is.
    N69LX7W44Z. Love your show and will miss you a lot. God bless you and all your family.

28. Paula Dilzell
    at 12:27 pm on January 23, 2010

Oprah is the best, she has made a difference in so many lives, it would be a honor to attend her New York City show. I do not see where we input the #, it is YXLJPX4TZ9. It has truly been a dream of my friend and I to attend an Oprah show before she ends. Thank you so much for the consideration.

29. LORIA EARNEST
    at 8:36 pm on January 25, 2010

MY TICKET NUMBER IS NTPJU969UL. MY MOTHER, MY SISTER AND MYSELF WATCHES YOURS SHOW AND WE GET YOUR OPRAH MAGAZINE. FROM THE GULF COAST MISSISSIPPI. MAY GOD BE WITH YOU.

30. Gayle Newman
    at 10:50 am on January 30, 2010

I have been a fan for years. i have lost and gained weight with Oprah trying everything. Even lost 70 lbs on Optifast gained it back and lost 50 lbs 5 more times. I have read every Opera magizine since day 1.
    I would love to be at Oprahs show in New York.
    My gold ticket # is JPUXPLNXNW

31. Donna Leighty
    at 9:12 pm on February 23, 2010

My friend and I love your show and the magazine. We would love to know if we are winners. My number is ytyn6ggp64.We will be anxiously awaiting your reply,Thank you.

32. barbara hunter
    at 9:15 am on March 8, 2010

I could not find where to get # for tickeys. My #LTXLGTZ964 please enter me. I would love to come to your show. Thankyou Barbara j Hunter

33. donnalonkouski
    at 1:06 pm on October 26, 2010

I DO NOT HAVE A WEBSITE ALL I WANT TO KNOW IS HOW DO YOU GET A WINNINNG NUMBER FOR YOUR YOUR SHOW THAT I WATCH EVERYDAY AT 7:00 IN SUFFOLK COUNTY NY ?

34. Anita Blair
    at 5:59 pm on November 19, 2010

Trying with all my heart to get a winning ticket. I just want to get away from my house that is falling apart around me. Snakes found in the family room, chimney falling off and no heat, I need a ticket, I need one bad. Anita in Virginia

35. Event Recap: Jonathan Franzen at Powell's City of Books | Reading Local
    at 1:04 pm on April 29, 2011

[…] By September 9th at least, Freedom topped the New York Times Bestseller List for hardcover fiction. As of September 16, the novel occupies the number one spot on Amazon’s Top 100 list in books, is number five in Kindle sales, and has spent 36 and 17 days on the two Top 100 lists, respectively. Franzen himself was on the cover of the August 23 issue of Time and the roar of publicity surrounding his new novel has sparked some controversy regarding the New York Times’ alleged tendency to heap adoration on white male novelists (read about it here). On top of everything, and Franzen hinted at this during his reading on the night of the 15th, the AP reported today (9/16) that Oprah has given Franzen a second chance, nominating Freedom to her book list (read an obituary of sorts for Oprah’s booklist at The Millions). […]

36. LIS News – Conversational Reading | WRITER'S BLOG
    at 9:25 pm on July 1, 2014

[…] not so sure that the end of the Oprah show means the end of Oprah’s involvement in publishing. […]