The Critterati pets-in-literary-garb contest ends at midnight tonight! You can view a gallery of the submissions as they appear, and some of them are phenomenal. I especially like Humbert Humbert. I don’t know how these people got their animals to cooperate (drugs, probably). Big Ed and Nadine, aged six months, made it quite clear that under no circumstances would they be dressed up as Lata and Kabir from A Suitable Boy (what am I supposed to do with this tiny cardboard cricket bat now?) Henry and June was also a non-starter, but that might have been unkind to do to siblings, anyway. No one wants to see his sister chew up a garter belt. Evidently I’m not the only one to encounter massive opposition.
Lydia Kiesling is a staff writer for The Millions and the creator of the Modern Library Revue. She lives in San Francisco and tweets sporadically at @lydiakiesling. You can read more of her writing at www.lydiakiesling.com.
More From Curiosities
- The Future Is Now October 1, 2014
- 1 Origin Story October 1, 2014
- Our New Enemy October 1, 2014
- Villain’s Law October 1, 2014
- Down to/Poetry September 30, 2014
- View All
Other Recent Articles
- An Inoculation Against Mistrust: Eula Biss’s On Immunity October 1, 2014
- Is There No Gender Equity in Nonfiction? October 1, 2014
- A Writer Walks Into a Bar. And Stays. September 30, 2014
- It’s 2014, Do You Know Where You Are? Bright Lights, Big City at 30 September 30, 2014
- God and Gab: The Second Sex by Michael Robbins September 29, 2014
- View All
- My god says "@timble – fair point about “Capital…”as it is originally french, not American, non-fiction, and therefore would not be..."Is There No Gender Equity in Nonfiction?
- timble says "@my god The mission statement of the National Book Awards is “[...] to celebrate the best of American literature, to expand its audience,..."Is There No Gender Equity in Nonfiction?
- My god says "“why is a great work, as Ron Charles points out, called “seminal” rather than “ovular?” … Ugh… But leaving that..."Is There No Gender Equity in Nonfiction?
- Kathy says "Excellent piece! Thanks for bringing attention to all of the wonderful works of nonfiction written by women this year. It is a shame that more..."Is There No Gender Equity in Nonfiction?
- Josef Zeko says "Well, the study linked to calls for a quota system."Is There No Gender Equity in Nonfiction?