Best of the Millennium and Notable Articles

Best of the Millennium, Pros Versus Readers

By posted at 10:47 am on September 25, 2009 84

One thing I know after working on The Millions for all these years is that the site has some incredibly knowledgeable and avid readers, the sort of book people I loved working with back in my bookstore days and who are the lifeblood of literary culture. And so, even as we were polling our distinguished panel of writers, editors, and critics, we wondered, what do Millions readers think? We polled The Millions Facebook group to find out.

The list our readers came up with was very interesting, and deviated in noticeable ways from that of the Pros. Before I get into the details. Have a look at the two lists below (Links in our panel list go to the writeups we published throughout the week.  Links in our reader list go to Amazon):

Panel
Unaccustomed Earth **
by Jhumpa Lahiri
Gilead
by Marilynne Robinson
Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell
by Susanna Clarke

While everyone seems to agree that The Corrections is a great book (it was the panel winner by a landslide), Millions readers put seven books ahead of it, and anointed Oscar Wao the top book of the decade.  Our readers have always loved Oscar, so that wasn’t a huge surprise, but it was also interesting to see that the readers had a high opinion of  Michael Chabon’s The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay, rectifying probably the biggest snub on our panel list, (along with White Teeth).  But then, the readers snubbed The Known World, so who knows.

With a massive field of potential books, snubs were inevitable. Left off both lists were both of Jonathan Safran Foer’s novels, David Foster Wallace’s Oblivion (his only fiction of the decade), and Denis Johnson’s much praised Tree of Smoke. Voters were also dying to include Bolaño’s The Savage Detectives. It was ineligible because it was published in Spanish in 1998, but it makes one wonder, what books will seem like shoo-ins for this type of exercise 10 or 11 years from now but are completely under the radar (or still untranslated) today?

Moving back to the books that did make the list, I also loved that the readers included Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell, a book that I’ve been hearing about from our readers for years, and Half of a Yellow Sun, a book that’s always had a lot of support in the online literary community.  Also intriguing is the appearance of mega-best seller The Kite Runner.

Finally, if we try to look for a consensus among the two lists, several titles appear on both, but the two with the most support across the entire spectrum of respondents are 2666 and Cloud Atlas, which, if you had to pick just two books to define the literary decade now coming to an end, would make for very interesting selections indeed.

We’ll be publishing follow-up pieces in our Millennium series over the coming weeks, so look for those. I also wanted to thank our panel and Millions readers for taking the time to participate in the series. If you enjoyed the series and value the coverage that The Millions provides, please consider supporting the site.

84 Responses to “Best of the Millennium, Pros Versus Readers”

1. Rohan Maitzen
    at 11:01 am on September 25, 2009

I’m surprised not to see Sarah Waters on either list.

2. Maire
    at 11:16 am on September 25, 2009

I was so happy to see that readers included Jhumpa Lahiri after a snubbing by the panel.

3. Maire
    at 11:17 am on September 25, 2009

Oh, and ditto Murakami.

4. Lydia Kiesling
    at 11:26 am on September 25, 2009

I think something to take away from the whole exercise is that it is silly to ascribe merit numerically. Number one, number three, number thirteen—these are basically meaningless distinctions (unless, I suppose, you are running a race). Consider the Modern Library 100, which creates a fairly arbitrary, often ridiculous, hierarchy between books, using basically the same process used for this list (which is, to reiterate, *not* a round-table consensus-type situation, but one based on tallies). Folks seem a little grumpy about The Corrections’ number one spot. Of course it feels a odd to call The Corrections “the best novel of the millennium.” But I don’t see how any of the novels we talked about this week would be less troublesome in that lauded position (unless, naturally, they happen to be your particular favorite).

We’re all just having a good time, right?

5. josh
    at 11:47 am on September 25, 2009

I would take the readers’ list over the panel’s anytime. The Corrections is only notable for the Oprah huff, other than that its professorial navel-gazing which is why it was at the top.

6. K. Grauke
    at 11:55 am on September 25, 2009

I thought that The Interpreter of Maladies came out in ’99.

7. Garth Risk Hallberg
    at 11:57 am on September 25, 2009

What is it with people and “professorial?” I keep hearing this adjective leveled at things I find conspicuously intelligent, but maybe it’s meant to denote some tone or rhetorical trait to which I (a quasi-professor) am as deaf as a human to a dog-whistle. Do people hate professors? I’ve always sort of liked them. At any rate, between Chip, Gary, Denise, Enid, and Alfred, there seems to be something for everyone in The Corrections. But maybe not?

8. W.S.
    at 11:59 am on September 25, 2009

You conducted a big poll and went through all of the trouble of tabulating and organizing and compiling this list and that’s what sits at the top? Why even bother with the whole exercise? One thing has been made definitely clear though: what most professional writers want, more than anything, is not to be the best writers they can be, but the best that the market wants them to be, to be rich and famous. Yawn. So the best example of fiction writing so far this decade is an enormous, encyclopedic novel written by a very tall white guy who wears glasses. The more things change the more they stay the same. I think this comment should end with a cliched statement like that in honor of your cliched, safe, zeitgeist-approved choice.

9. Lydia Kiesling
    at 12:09 pm on September 25, 2009

It’s not the destination, it’s the journey?

10. Saul
    at 12:09 pm on September 25, 2009

I’m surprised at how _Kafka on the Shore_ did on the reader’s list. I felt like it was one of Murakami’s weakest novels ever (and maybe that’s a testament to his skill and ability).

Both _White Teeth_ and _Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell_ were excellent books. Definitely among my favorites of the millennium.

11. PJ
    at 12:18 pm on September 25, 2009

The whole point is to spur debate, right? Now’s when the fun begins. My personal quibble: no Aleksandar Hemon? I nominate Nowhere Man. (Oh, by the way, Hemon is also a tall white man with glasses. Oh well.)

12. Edan Lepucki
    at 12:25 pm on September 25, 2009

I personally love tall white guys who wear glasses. Sexy!

And is anyone really surprised that the top book is one that’s been a commercial and critical success? In order to get the #1 spot, a book had to have the most votes, and it would be difficult for a less well known book to win, simply because the fewer people who have read a book means fewer people voting for it.

I know people who hated The Corrections or thought it mediocre, and that’s fair. But I also know people who hate a book simply because lots of other people like it…

That said, I enjoyed The Corrections very much, I had fun nominating my favorite books, and I loved reading the write-ups for all the ones that made the list. I can’t wait to get my hands on American Genius and Mortals, two books I knew very little about before the list was published.

13. Las obras de Roberto Bolaño » The Millions List (revised)
    at 12:26 pm on September 25, 2009

[...] today The Millions revealed their top novel of the millennium (so far): The Corrections by Jonathan [...]

14. Diana
    at 12:45 pm on September 25, 2009

Where oh where is China Mieville? As far as I’m concerned, he’s the tops–at least in fantasy/science fiction. But THANKS for excluding the author of Angels and Demons, whats his name!

15. Tom Beshear
    at 1:03 pm on September 25, 2009

EUROPE CENTRAL should be among this august list, but I can only assume few of the Millions voters have read it. It’s long and difficult, don’t you know, and its subject matter is not trendy. Vollmann’s execution of his great ambition is intimidating — few of the authors here (Bolano, perhaps a couple of others) could conceive of such a project, let alone complete it. And following its example will not make you a more marketable young writer.
    Sorry to be so snarky, but, really….

Also, KAVALIER AND CLAY, TREE OF SMOKE, and OMEGA MINOR

16. Shipsa01
    at 1:04 pm on September 25, 2009

How about Netherland?

17. Tom
    at 1:42 pm on September 25, 2009

The stand-out quality of The Corrections, and the reason it deserves a spot at least near the top (if there has to be a list at all), is that it’s a genuine novel of social criticism (that is, not social criticism masquerading as a novel, or vice versa). Franzen deserves praise for revitalizing the form. It’s more Jane Austen than John Updike.

18. Patrick
    at 2:42 pm on September 25, 2009

Interpreter of Maladies did come out in ’99, and as such, should be disqualified. (That’s not to take away from its quality or the quality of Lahiri’s writing. Just that it doesn’t meet the criteria for inclusion.)

I think both of these lists are full of great novels and story collections. The comments are focusing largely on what wasn’t included and the consensus seems to be that the big, difficult novels got the shaft. I’m not sure this is entirely correct, as 2666 placed pretty highly on the list. Perhaps a book like Tree of Smoke lost out because it’s taking a while for readers to digest it, but again, 2666 puts the lie to that theory. To suggest that a book like Europe Central didn’t make the list because nobody must’ve read it is nutty. I read it. It wasn’t in my top 5. It’s an incredible book and it digs into consciousness in a way I’d never seen before, but I happen to think The Corrections is a better novel. Big and difficult doesn’t always equally better and more impressive, despite what the commentors on this site so often suggest.

19. Nic
    at 2:42 pm on September 25, 2009

While I agree with Tom, I still wouldn’t give it anywhere close to the top spot. I thought it was pretty middling, and I don’t necessarily think we need any sort of “return to form” in an era where new voices, traditionally kept out of mainstream publishing, are finally coming to the forefront.
    I think Junot Diaz deserves that number one.

But hey, great list! It’s nice to just have a compiled list of suggested contemporary reading, which – for some reason – is difficult to come by. (But I’ll take suggestions) .

20. C. Max Magee
    at 3:01 pm on September 25, 2009

Dang it – several sources I looked at said 2000 for Interpreter of Maladies, but I guess that’s just when she won the Pulitzer… So, Unaccustomed Earth got several votes – how about we swap that in (and counting the combined votes she got for her three books, Lahiri deserves to be on there.)

21. Lincoln
    at 3:04 pm on September 25, 2009

I think the panel’s list is stronger, but both are missing some key books… but that’s always to be expected. I enjoyed these lists!

22. Laura
    at 3:52 pm on September 25, 2009

Oops, I was one of the people who nominated Interpreter of Maladies on my reader’s choice list, and somehow also convinced myself it came out in 2000. But Unaccustomed Earth is great! I’m curious, did The Namesake get many votes? I’ve never liked it as much as her short stories.

23. C. Max Magee
    at 3:58 pm on September 25, 2009

Actually, Laura, it looks like The Namesake didn’t get any votes, but Unaccustomed and Interperter got almost the same number, and combined would have moved Lahiri up the list a few spots (it seems like most folks agree with you that Lahiri’s short stories are where it’s at).

24. Kevin
    at 3:59 pm on September 25, 2009

Garth:

I think “professorial” has become a synonym for “intellectual.” On the one hand, I understand how someone would criticize a writer for this trait. Some writers, like many professors, can take the soul out of a story. The heady language, the “ideas,” obfuscate the feelings and emotions.

But, for the most part, the label of “professorial” is lazy. I’ve heard the tag thrown at Pynchon and DFW, for example, but I’ve encountered some of the most beautiful, well written, emotion-filled passages in both of their books.

I understand the criticism some readers have about “The Corrections.” The language, at times, does seem to take on the self-pity and cynicism of its characters. I too struggled with this, and I think it’s fair to call attention to it– as many notable critics have. But, overall, I’m certain Franzen was well-aware of this. So the questions should be why does he write like this and, secondly, is he successful? In all, Franzen has an incredible talent for family drama, and the book is incredibly well-written and challenging– two traits any great novel should have.

What I don’t agree with are the knee-jerk reactions to the book. Franzen tends to catch the same lazy criticism as Pynchon and Wallace and Delillo. And you are right to challenge the term “professorial” in this case, which, in essence, is a cynical attack on ambition. These attacks, many of which come from those who haven’t read the books in question, stem from a misunderstanding about the writing process and, in general, irreverence for authors who experiment and try to push the form.

And irreverence: this is a trend I don’t understand. Many like to bash “high-art” as pretentious and elitist and snobbish. It’s as if great art is all a facade, a hoax. The people who make it are intellectuals and the people who consume it want to look smart. No, great art is ambitious, challenging, and requires a finer taste.

And to “The Millions” crew and the writers who participated: thanks for the list. I don’t agree with some of the books, but who cares? The numbers game is a matter of preference, and there isn’t a dud on the list. Thanks for sparking conversation, reminding me of books I’ve read, and encouraging me to read the books I haven’t.

25. B
    at 4:56 pm on September 25, 2009

I have to agree with PJ about Aleksandar Hemon. Nowhere Man didn’t make a big splash when it was published, but it is (I hope) one of those books that will keep growing in stature as the years pass. Few writers have ever captured the dislocations of the refugee/exile experience as vividly as Hemon. The book is structurally dazzling, and the way Hemon reinvigorates the English language puts native speakers on notice that their mother tongue has grown tired of being taken for granted and has found herself a new lover.

26. Kati
    at 5:02 pm on September 25, 2009

I’m okay with the White Teeth snub because, though it’s a fantastic book, the ending’s pretty damn lame. I wonder if Tree of Smoke didn’t make it because, well, it’s massive, and it’s hard to vote for something you can’t finish.

27. W.S.
    at 5:38 pm on September 25, 2009

“Most writers, to counter W.S., aren’t out to be famous. To accuse Franzen of this is ridiculous because “The Corrections” is an anomaly. Serious writers with literary ambitions don’t make the long dollar– most artists without a mind for entertainment aren’t the ones living in luxury.”

Right. Most writers long to live in penury and anonymity. Especially writers like Franzen, which would explain his habitual need to tell other people why whatever it is he is working on at any given moment is exactly what the publishing world, and the reading public, needs.

I think the problem with your argument is your example. Franzen is a middlebrow novelist working with traditional material to make what amounts to more of the same. The Corrections is just another in a long line of novels that flatters its audience into thinking that their lives have some kind of universal truth to them, as if a Chef, a Writer and a Businessman are avatars for all of humanity. The Corrections, to me, said nothing new about anything and did it in a way that was neither innovative nor exciting. I guess that it was picked number one by the panel shouldn’t really come as a surprise when you see who made up the panel.

28. Poornima
    at 5:45 pm on September 25, 2009

I too think Oscar Wao deserves the top slot (and agree about Hemon and would have loved to see Colum McCann somewhere) but as some have observed the rankings are pretty subjective anyway.

On a separate note, while I am amused at some of the sharp rhetoric flying around, I also think it’s great to see so many so passionate about books and reading. Three cheers to the Millions for sparking such lively conversation!

29. PScott
    at 5:50 pm on September 25, 2009

The lists are very solid top to bottom, but am I the only person surprised by the lack of love on either list for Atwood’s Blind Assassin? Seems like a rather prominent omission.

I’m also curious if any of Philip Roth’s books from the decade got any votes.

30. Lydia Kiesling
    at 6:04 pm on September 25, 2009

I voted for the Blind Assassin, PScott! That was the one I felt sad about.

W.S., there are undoubtedly things to be said against The Corrections, but you’re getting a touch personal there.

31. Patrick
    at 6:16 pm on September 25, 2009

PScott,
    I considered a couple of Roth books — namely The Human Stain — but in the end, they didn’t make my top 5. If we did this same thing for the 90s, I might have picked American Pastoral #1 overall. There were actually quite a few authors whose best work seemed to happen in the late 90s, and as such, just missed the cut.

32. Friday Bookshelf Hofer + Hemingway, Orlean & Eisenberg | teresashenswingler.com
    at 6:34 pm on September 25, 2009

[...] re-reading this book after seeing it make #12 in The Millions Best of The Millennium book list. The Millions polled a panel of writers and their general readers to compile two lists of [...]

33. Trent
    at 7:19 pm on September 25, 2009

It’s interesting that The Corrections has been labelled “professorial,” considering that the occupation and the ivory tower are the target of some keen (and hilarious) satire in Franzen’s novel. Also, evidence for Franzen’s beliefs in the pleasures of writing and reading is all over the place. Alas, the suggestion that something is trying to be intelligent does leave the impression of elitism. As readers, though, it’s up to us to enter a dialogue with the writer and not just approach art as a cheap fix, but as a means of communicating something of value. I think Franzen does this well.

34. Mad Professah
    at 1:16 am on September 26, 2009

I love Oscar Wao and Jhumpa Lahiri! I got two copies of The Known World for m birthday years ago and COULD NOT FINISH IT! I just lost interest in the plot around page 300, and did not feel like slogging through to the end.

I actually read Middlesex last week and loved it. I read Cloud Atlas earlier this year and enjoyed it qute a bit (except the longest story in the middle). The Road I was forced to read by my book club and thought it was okay.

I have read 9 of the top 20 “readers choices” (6 of the top 10) but almost none on the critics list.

I look forward to reading The Corrections soon.

35. Laurence
    at 8:57 am on September 26, 2009

It seems unfair to exclude The Savage Detectives considering its English translation came later and its impact was most certainly felt in this millennium as opposed to the last.

Also, I found it more inventive than The Savage Detectives in nearly every way: http://wwtawwta.blogspot.com/2009/05/2666.html

p.s. W.S. = Will Speers?

LB

36. Laurie
    at 9:46 am on September 26, 2009

I’m very surprised that “Life of Pi” did not make the list. Regardless of what you think of Yann Martel’s other work, this one should stand the test of time.

37. Nic
    at 10:07 am on September 26, 2009

Life of Pi? Really?

Went searching for Norman Rush’s Mortals, found it in the remainders at Book City in Toronto for six bucks. Not bad.

38. Love my lists « Scribbly Jane
    at 12:19 pm on September 26, 2009

[...] Check it out at The Millions: Best of the Millennium, Pros Versus Readers [...]

39. geoff
    at 2:43 pm on September 26, 2009

Out Stealing Horses is a personal favourite. I was pleased and surprised to see it in the Pro list as it seldom gets a mention

40. Top novels from “The Millions” « The displaced Kiwi
    at 3:01 pm on September 26, 2009

[...] The Millions polled its readers on the top novels and compared it to a list of Pros. I was very pleased to see my personal favourite Out Stealing Horses appear in the Panel’s list. It seldom appears in these lists and it totally deserves to. [...]

41. Charles
    at 3:17 pm on September 26, 2009

Shout out to “Gould’s Book of Fish”, by Richard Flanagan.

42. Links for 2009/09/26 | ChrisKinniburgh
    at 12:02 am on September 27, 2009

[...] The Millions: Best of the Millennium, Pros Versus Readers – "Best of the Millennium" The books you should read in the next few months. – (media books ) [...]

43. The Millions: best fiction of the new millennium « Books to the Ceiling
    at 10:38 am on September 27, 2009

[...] 27, 2009 at 2:38 pm (books) Here’s a link to the results of the poll conducted by The Millions.  And here  are a few comments on those [...]

44. Pat
    at 6:58 pm on September 27, 2009

“The Corrections” is the best novel of the millennium, so far? C’mon. Seriously?

How utterly boring.

That choice is more a reflection of a writerly clique than the book’s worthiness.

45. 5th Estate · The best book of the millenium
    at 10:43 am on September 28, 2009

[...] in the top spot as the best new title of the last decade. As a follow up to the series, the blog posted a great piece listing the top 20 books chosen by the panel of experts, versus the top 20 books chosen by their [...]

46. Hundred Pockets» Blog Archive » e-books – the revolution is here
    at 5:03 pm on September 28, 2009

[...] reading The Million’s wonderful list of the best novels of the millennium so far (thank-you Tyler), I felt frankly rather shamed at not having read half of them. My self-image as a [...]

47. My Favorite Lit-Blog Things: September 30, 2009 « Hungry Like the Woolf
    at 8:05 am on September 30, 2009

[...] Favorite Lit-Blog Things: September 30, 2009 Best of the Millenium, Pro versus Readers. The Millions polled 48 of their “favorite writers, editors, and critics” to come up [...]

48. Kerry
    at 10:40 am on September 30, 2009

For the record, I have read six of the twenty critics’ choices and seven of the twenty readers’ choices. The Corrections is one of those. I was underwhelmed. Franzen can write a sentence, but the book lacked depth.

As one example of a flaw, the scene with the talking poo is derivative of Mr. Hanky of South Park fame. Mr. Hanky has been around since 1997, so South Park gets credit. And, I guess, my biggest problem with the book was that Franzen seemed primarily interested in zaniness (like the fish down the pants which seemed for all the world like a Seinfeld (Kramer) bit.) rather than saying anything new about the human condition. And, no, his one-dimensional shots at big pharma, the cruise industry, etc. do not qualify.

Still, the two lists are outstanding and provide the spur I need to catch up on some of the millenium’s best (if sometimes overrated) writing.

49. A Frightening Vision of Nabokov’s Ghost
    at 5:46 pm on September 30, 2009

[...] a completely unrelated note, The Millions concluded their list of the top twenty books of the new millennium,  with The Corrections by [...]

50. My Best of the Decade: Are We Laughing Yet?
    at 5:45 pm on October 1, 2009

[...] regular readers of this site know, I contributed to the “pro” list of The Millions Best Books of the Millennium (So Far).  You can read what I had to say about one of the books chosen by popular decree, Jonathan [...]

51. Listmania vs. Lake Woebegone
    at 3:10 am on October 2, 2009

[...] is an interesting emerging conversation about The Millions recently published “Best [Books] of the Millennium” list on a number of blogs I follow. First, Edmond Caldwell over at Contra James Wood [...]

52. Lisa N.R.
    at 11:27 am on October 2, 2009

I was so pleased to see Austerlitz make both lists; I admire Sebold so much and I’m planning on starting The Emigrants soon. What is it with our need to “rank” in order, by number? I like the idea of bounded sets or intersecting circled sets of favorites instead of lists. With a list, where do I start…at the top? I’m interested in the intersections and what else is being read. I’m probably gonna start with Gilead, Cloud Atlas, and Never Let Me Go, based on how near they were on the list to other favorites that I’ve read. It’s all so…whacked. But what a great load of fun.

53. Prodavinci » Archivo de: » ¿Cuáles son los mejores libros del milenio? Por ahora…
    at 2:19 pm on October 2, 2009

[...] milenio, pero pudiera hablarse de los mejores libros publicados desde el año 2000 hasta la fecha. The Millions convocó a un panel de experto y le preguntó a sus lectores su opinión. La lista -con un claro [...]

54. The People Have Spoken « Meanderings
    at 12:47 pm on October 4, 2009

[...] Comment And, Meanderings was right, not to toot our own horn. The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao really was the best book of the decade, experts bedamned. Possibly related posts: (automatically generated)BRIAN SUSSMAN WANTS TO BOMB [...]

55. Leah
    at 1:18 pm on October 6, 2009

I contributed titles, but none of mine made it in the top 20…I figured they wouldn’t, but I’d love to see the entire list of submitted titles if that exists somewhere! It’s fun to see which titles got chosen the most, but I’d be more interested in seeing everything that was nominated and how many votes each title received. Max, would that be a possibility?

56. C. Max Magee
    at 1:29 pm on October 6, 2009

Hi Leah, Thanks for taking part. I’m not sure if we’ll be publishing the readers’ list of titles – probably not – but we have published the panel’s list.

57. A melhor ficção da primeira década do milênio « Autores e Livros
    at 12:11 am on October 7, 2009

[...] A melhor ficção da primeira década do milênio Ir aos comentários Via site  Bibliotecário de Babel, soube da notícia de que críticos e leitores escolheram os 20 melhores livros de ficção da primeira década deste milênio. [...]

58. First of all… « a home between the pages
    at 12:25 pm on October 9, 2009

[...] (Sidenote: The Millions polled their Facebook group and they came up with this list: http://www.themillions.com/2009/09/best-of-the-millennium-pros-versus-readers.html [...]

59. S. Forrest
    at 10:38 pm on October 18, 2009

Corrections??? How can that be? It is a novel of cartoons.

60. “The Brief and Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao”, Junot Diaz | Blogging the Bookshelf
    at 9:03 pm on November 1, 2009

[...] heard about Junot Diaz’s “The Brief and Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao” whilst perusing a few ‘Best books of the Noughties’ lists earlier this year. I’m not sure how I missed it when it was released in 2007 because it’s [...]

61. Best Books of the Millenium? | BOOK CLUB CLASSICS!
    at 3:03 am on November 9, 2009

[...] The Millions blog recently decided to find out which books are the very best so far of this millenium.  They created two lists — one with reader favorites and one with the favorites of “experts.”  I double-starred (**) the titles I read (and loved) and single-starred (*) the titles I tried to read, but didn’t finish.  Please feel free to recommend any of the other titles I haven’t read yet by leaving a comment!    [...]

62. Os melhores livros da década « Animal Civilizado
    at 5:57 am on November 17, 2009

[...] The Millions, foi publicadas duas listas com os melhores vinte livros de ficção da primeira década do século XXI. A lista foi elaborada com a contribuição de críticos literários, editores e escritores. Mais [...]

63. To kindle or not to kindle, ho ho ho lists for Books 2009 | Okie Reads
    at 2:46 pm on December 1, 2009

[...] there are the old standbys of  great lists, PW Publishers Weekly; a list for the millennium from Millions and of course there is your own list this year. So ponder your last of 2009 choices, review your [...]

64. ‘Bulo Remembers 2009 (And the Noughts): Book It, Bulo : Delaware Liberal
    at 1:31 pm on December 7, 2009

[...] Millions is an excellent literary site. In this case, I prefer the Readers’ List to the Pro’s List. Mainly b/c “The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay”, by Michael Chabon, is one of [...]

65. Lists upon lists for the 2000s « Aesthetics of Everywhere
    at 10:29 am on December 9, 2009

[...] the decade according to 9-year-olds (the dial-up part is so funny), worst dining trends, and some excellent book [...]

66. Books & Authors » Daily Lit Links for 12/10: Best of 2009
    at 9:23 am on December 11, 2009

[...] Millions features two “Best of the Millennium” lists, one chosen by “pros” and the other by readers.  Each list features 20 [...]

67. Ted Schaefer
    at 7:25 pm on December 15, 2009

Very high on my top 20 list would be Kathryn Davis’s “The Thin Place,” Kate Walbert’s “A Short History of Women,” and Jane Gardam’s “Old Filth.”

68. Top Books of 2009 lists « Dusty Hum
    at 12:21 am on December 21, 2009

[...] Millions best of the decade (#1 = The Corrections) plus a readers’ list (#1 = Oscar [...]

69. Larry Belling
    at 6:03 am on December 30, 2009

My fave book of the decade is “Sacred Games” by Vikran Chandos. How can these idiots omit it?

70. Making the List | Like Fire
    at 12:41 am on January 7, 2010

[...] conversations surrounding lists are usually interesting. Earlier this fall, The Millions conducted two polls—one among their contributors and literary acquaintances, another of their readers on [...]

71. Whatchya reading? « Naptime Writing
    at 12:50 am on January 20, 2010

[...] Jump to Comments I posted the list from The Millions a couple of weeks? months? ago, and we had a lively discussion in the comments about what, in fact, [...]

72. My Best of the Decade: An Idiosyncratic List » Novel Readings - Just another WordPress weblog
    at 12:50 am on March 15, 2010

[...] “Best of the Millenium.” Through their polling processes, they’ve ended up with two lists, one representing the top picks of their panel of “pros,” the other representing the [...]

73. » “Atlas chmur” Davida Mitchella Trystero: Niezależny blog finansowy
    at 7:24 pm on March 20, 2010

[...] czas temu znalazłem w Internecie dwie listy najlepszych powieści minionej dekady – jedną sporządzoną przez krytyków, drugą stworzoną przez czytelników. Wypisałem sobie [...]

74. Alex
    at 5:18 am on March 23, 2010

I’ve read only Murakami, but looking forward for top-list… Thanks!

75. Out Stealing Horses « The Wrong Empire
    at 6:23 pm on July 3, 2010

[...] I recently read this beautiful essay by Emerson for the first time and it reminded me of my book club’s third choice, Out Stealing Horses, which I have been meaning to read since it was among the Best of the Millennium by The Millions. [...]

76. Chick lit and Franzenfreude « Naptime Writing
    at 11:24 pm on September 25, 2010

[...] for equal time? On the “pros versus readers” list of best millennial fiction from The Millions cites 20 books (including duplicates), 10 of which are by women. So? Should we be counting? Or [...]

77. Grāmatu listes: kāpēc vajag? « burtkoki
    at 1:30 pm on November 25, 2010

[...] http://www.themillions.com – Amerikāņu interneta literārais žurnāls ir izveidojis 21.gadsimta pirmās desmitgades Top20, pie kam tas ir noticis divās versijās – kritiķu un lasītāju, līdz ar to abās Top20 kopā ir 30 grāmatas. Šajā sarakstā ir ne tikai romāni, bet arī stāstu krājumi    http://www.themillions.com/2009/09/best-of-the-millennium-pros-versus-readers.html [...]

78. Jonathan Franzen me sonaba de algo | MJ en Vancouver
    at 2:48 pm on December 8, 2011

[...] y comentaré algo sobre la gran venta gran. Por mientras, si siente curiosidad, acá el resto de la lista de los mejores libros del Milenio. Interesante, porque ponen los top 20 del panel de expertos y los [...]

79. Лучшие книги XXI века « Капитошкина библиотека
    at 9:51 am on February 5, 2012

[...] специалистами. Полная версия обоих списков опубликована на сайте [...]

80. Литературные итоги XXI века
    at 3:07 am on August 31, 2012

[...] Один из таких списков под названием «Best of the Millennium» опубликовал американский журнал «The Millions». [...]

81. Deivids Mičels „Mākoņu Atlants” | Andris lasa
    at 12:10 pm on September 7, 2012

[...] bija raksts par to, ka ir izveidots 21.gs grāmatu tops gan kritiķu, gan lasītāju vidū – (links šeit). Pastudējis sarakstu konstatēju, ka esmu izlasījis precīzi vienu no šīm grāmatām [...]

82. 20 лучших книг XXI века | Калейдоскоп
    at 9:31 am on September 12, 2012

[...] литературный журнал The Millions опубликовал список 20 лучших книг XXI [...]

83. 20 лучших книг XXI века
    at 6:20 am on September 20, 2012

[...] литературный журнал The Millions опубликовал список 20 лучших книг XXI [...]

84. Best of the Millennium?
    at 3:15 pm on October 24, 2013

[…] to compare the list compiled by the experts versus that of the readers, which you can do here.  The Reader list is a bit more populist (it includes The Kite Runner, which I think is the […]