Announcements

Welcome to the New themillions.com

By posted at 6:18 am on August 16, 2009 11

coverThe Millions, at any given time, has ten regular paid contributors and has been host to over a hundred guest contributors, including some of the literary world’s leading voices.  With all this going on, we’ve long felt the great writing here needed a little room to breathe.  With The Millions having outgrown its bloggy roots, and with needs that long ago surpassed my meager abilities as a web designer, we decided it was time to give The Millions a redesign that reflected the breadth of criticism, commentary, and reporting you’ve come to expect from the site.

So first, a quick tour.  The new front page showcases two main headlines – these will be our two most recent essays or reviews – along with a dozen more recently published stories below.

Underneath that is a new section called Curiosities.  Throughout the day, we’ll be sharing interesting links and tidbits here.  Those of you who read The Millions via RSS will see Curiosities in the feed along with the rest of our content.

Also in the lower area are category-based links into our archives, as well as our monthly Top Ten.  At the top right of the page, you’ll find a search box for the site and for Amazon.

If you you have any feedback or see anything broken, please let me know.

It’s not an easy time to be running an independent literature and culture publication that pays its writers, but we strongly believe that we can help fill the gap as coverage shrinks elsewhere.  If you’d like to support this effort (or are just inclined to give a housewarming gift), please visit our support page.

Thanks for reading The Millions!

11 Responses to “Welcome to the New themillions.com”

1. My Literary Blog of the Week – The Millions « Annette Dunlea Literary Blog
    at 7:24 pm on August 17, 2009

[…] Welcome to the New themillions.com 0 […]

2. Miette
    at 8:13 pm on August 17, 2009

Congratulations Millions. It looks so nice I can’t decide whether I want to kiss it or put it on my special show-off shelf of first editions, signed copies, and otherwise beautifully jacketed.

3. VQR » Blog » Week’s Highlights: Rising Up, Rising Down
    at 12:03 pm on August 18, 2009

[…] But as some wither and die, new, small, tightly focused literary publications appear on the Web. Electric Literature has received some well deserved attention for its playful marketing campaign (“Reading That’s Bad For You”), high-profile contributors (Michael Cunningham, Jim Shepard, T Cooper, Lydia Millet, Diana Wagman), an excellent trailer video for Shepard’s story (see below), and its innovative distribution methods: the journal can be purchased and read as a paperback, eBook, or for Kindle or iPhone. Beyond Electric Literature, check out The Critical Flame and Wag’s Revue, both of which are on their second issues, and The Second Pass, The Collagist, and The Offending Adam. Finally, don’t miss the redesigned The Millions. […]

4. Sarah McCoy
    at 4:19 pm on August 18, 2009

I loved you before, but now I’m “in love” with you. The new format is gorgeous. Clean, crisp and utterly chic. Congratulations on your new look and kudos to the contributors, editors and staff!

5. Nirinia
    at 4:55 pm on August 18, 2009

Congratulations, very well executed switch! Functional and pretty, absolutely for the better.

6. chris
    at 11:32 pm on August 18, 2009

I can’t find a design credit. I’d love to check out their other work.

7. Alex
    at 8:48 am on August 19, 2009

Chris – you can find more of the designer’s work at http://www.chantyce.com

8. The Second Pass
    at 9:52 am on August 19, 2009

[…] . . . Veteran lit blog The Millions has undergone a redesign. The site’s editor, C. Max Magee, explains. . . . The Collagist has republished a short story by Gordon Lish. . . . Not too long ago, a friend […]

9. Columbo
    at 1:09 pm on August 19, 2009

What a surprise! This is absolutely awesome. Kind of reminds me of the new NPR website – albeit better. The Millions continues to improve. Good job!

10. Nicolai
    at 5:14 pm on August 20, 2009

Preferred the old layout, but I suppose that I can make do with this

11. Meg
    at 11:20 pm on August 25, 2009

It took me a few days to get used to the new layout, but now I love it. Great job!