Literary Atlas

The Millions’ Collaborative Atlas of Book Stores and Literary Places

By posted at 3:43 am on March 18, 2009 47

Update: Because Google’s tools for maintaining this map are limited, and because the map was getting frequent spammy and irrelevant edits, we’ve closed the editing feature on the map for now. In the meantime, the map includes plenty of stores and places to check out. Hopefully we’ll be able to allow people to add to the map again some time in the future.

In revisiting, expanding and ruminating upon the updated Walking Tour of New York’s Independent Bookstores we unveiled yesterday, we realized the potential to use these same tools to create a much more comprehensive atlas of the bookstores and literary places important to readers.

After putting together our first NY store tour post two years ago, we heard from several readers looking for similar walking tours for other cities and towns. Others just wanted to let everyone know about their own favorite bookstores. This would be a great resource, but we need your help.

Below you’ll find The Millions’ Collaborative Atlas of Book Stores and Literary Places. This Atlas is open to anyone and everyone to edit, and to get the ball rolling we have preloaded it with the New York map we posted here yesterday. We encourage you to add book stores and literary sites found in your town. Using the tools available, it’s also possible to create book store tours for other cities worldwide.

Click to view and edit a larger version of the map (Once you’ve clicked through to Google Maps, use the “Edit” button on the left sidebar to add content to the map).

We’ll be excited to see the Atlas evolve and we hope that over time it becomes a useful tool for readers (and travelers) everywhere. With this in mind, we’ll be keeping the Atlas embedded in our sidebar (it’s also accessible via Google). If you make an addition to the map, feel free to let us know in the comments below.

Note: Even though the map is centered on the U.S., readers all over the world can take part! Once you click over to Google Maps to make your additions, just navigate to your part of the world.

Note 2: If you want to spread the word about the Atlas, feel free to embed it on your own sites.

47 Responses to “The Millions’ Collaborative Atlas of Book Stores and Literary Places”

1. nausicaa88
    at 4:12 am on March 18, 2009

assume this is limited to the US for the moment and doesn't extend to the UK or Australia?

2. Max
    at 4:15 am on March 18, 2009

Definitely not limited to the U.S.! We'd love it if our international (and well-traveled) readers added their favorite spots outside of the U.S.!

3. Tim
    at 7:44 am on March 18, 2009

This is a fantastic idea. I've started by adding Faulkner House Book in New Orleans.

4. sarah
    at 7:47 am on March 18, 2009

I've got Wisconsin started!

5. carl hoffman
    at 8:04 am on March 18, 2009

Added Woodland Pattern Book Center in Milwaukee.

6. Edan Lepucki
    at 8:37 am on March 18, 2009

I added Book Soup, Skylight and Vroman's for Los Angeles readers. There are others (Diesel, Stories, Portrait of a Bookstore, etc.) that will need to be added, either by someone else, or when I have more time.

I also included Iowa City's Prairie Lights, which is a wonderful store with a terrific reading series.

7. Javier Moreno
    at 8:50 am on March 18, 2009

I'll be adding stuff in Barcelona, Spain, and Lyon, France.

8. Celeste
    at 9:07 am on March 18, 2009

I added Shaman Drum Bookshop, a wonderful independent bookstore in Ann Arbor, MI, that's in danger of closing. :(

9. Meg89
    at 9:18 am on March 18, 2009

I jump-started Missouri with a beautiful used bookstore in downtown Rolla.

10. mrdyingflame
    at 10:30 am on March 18, 2009

I marked a place in malta

11. swerves
    at 10:30 am on March 18, 2009

got the south started with NC.

12. Rory
    at 10:59 am on March 18, 2009

First in Canada! Librairie Drawn & Quarterly! Come say hello!

13. Ben
    at 4:27 pm on March 18, 2009

I added Argos bookstore in Grand Rapids Michigan.

14. Gran
    at 7:44 pm on March 18, 2009

In Seattle, I added Bailey-Coy Books and Elliott Bay Books. Also, in Bellevue, Washington, Half Price books, where good deals rule.

15. Christine
    at 7:51 pm on March 18, 2009

I added Politics and Prose in DC. Here is the website – It is a great book store!

16. Laurie
    at 8:37 pm on March 18, 2009

I added the "Hard To Find (But Worth The Effort) Quality Secondhand Bookshop" in Auckland, New Zealand. (

17. Paul Raymont
    at 12:20 am on March 19, 2009

I added 11 or 12 bookstores (lost count) for Toronto.

18. Daan
    at 2:47 am on March 19, 2009

I added 1 bookstore in Amsterdam, Athenaeum Boekhandel (; will add more.

19. kinard.
    at 5:57 am on March 19, 2009

I added Litchfield Books in Pawleys Island, SC.

20. carfossil
    at 8:46 am on March 19, 2009

Added Orca Books in Olympia, WA.

21. Anonymous
    at 11:29 am on March 19, 2009

I added Globe Corner Bookstore and Raven books, both in Cambridge, MA.

22. springer
    at 3:03 pm on March 19, 2009

Half Price may offer good prices, but it's not exactly an independent.

23. Elizabeth
    at 3:50 pm on March 19, 2009

I added WriterHouse in Charlottesville, VA.

24. King's Books
    at 4:46 pm on March 19, 2009

Added King's Books in Tacoma, WA and A Room of One's Own in Madison, WI.

25. praymont
    at 7:17 pm on March 19, 2009

I added an English-language store in Vienna, a bookstore in Vancouver BC, one in Waterloo ON and one in Guelph ON

26. Christine
    at 12:06 pm on March 20, 2009

Where is most of the mid-west and the UK-? I have visited wonderful bookshops in London but can't remember their names- help please! I am also surprised Ireland has not chimed in since their national pass time is reading.

27. Laurie
    at 1:15 pm on March 21, 2009

Added Jackson Street Books in Athens, Georgia. Wish we could add a photo but Google Maps doesn't seem to have that feature (?)…

28. Laurie
    at 3:46 pm on March 21, 2009

Also added Beijing Bookworm and Chengdu Bookworm.

29. praymont
    at 12:07 pm on March 22, 2009

I added one store in Bayfield, ON and two stores in Stratford, Ontario. Also, I dug out the TLS's series from approx. 15 months ago ('Perambulatory Xmas Books') on good used-book stores in London, UK. I added four of those (after confirming that they're still there).

30. Sparks
    at 1:17 pm on March 23, 2009

Green Apple Books in San Francisco – best used bookstore in the city on one of the best culinary streets. Be sure to check out both stores (three doors apart)!

31. J.
    at 10:45 am on March 24, 2009

I have added some literary sites to the St. Louis region, and one bookstore. This includes sites relating to Mark Twain, Kate Chopin, William Gass, William S. Burroughs, Henry Adams, T.S. Eliot, and others.

32. Christine
    at 12:38 pm on March 27, 2009

I added the Huntington Library in San Marino, CA. When I was writing an MA thesis on medieval drama my research took me there and I fell in love with the place. They have the only extant copy of the Medieval Wakefield Mystery Cycle plays in the world. It was a thrill to see this hand written manuscript. If you are in LA or San Diego it is worth a day trip. The gardens, gallery and library are spectacular.

33. lillyanne
    at 11:45 am on March 31, 2009

I've added the Time Out Bookshop in Auckland, New Zealand – it's a joy of a place to browse and buy. And they host a very good book group too.

34. Bonnie Slotnick
    at 5:38 pm on April 8, 2009

If you're visiting Three Lives & Co., you'll be just a few yards from my shop, Bonnie Slotnick Cookbooks (out-of-print and used). I'm at 163 West Tenth St., across Tenth and slightly to the left (west) of Three Lives. will tell you more.
    As for adding it to the map–I'll leave that for others more tech-savvy, and thanks!

35. Marc
    at 9:19 am on April 10, 2009

I added a bunch of bookshops and literary sites in London, especially around Bloomsbury. I assume this is for independent shops only?

36. Nell
    at 9:25 pm on April 12, 2009

I added Mary Who? Bookshop in Townsville, Australia. Great independent bookstore, has been in Townsville over twenty years.

37. Павел
    at 6:16 am on April 15, 2009

I added bookstore Moskva in Moscow, Russia.

38. edevans505
    at 7:45 am on April 17, 2009

Attempted to add a couple of secondhand bookshops in York, UK; and St Helena's Hospice Charity Bookshop in Frinton-on-sea, UK.

39. Lisa
    at 6:41 pm on April 23, 2009

Added Book Culture (formerly Labyrinth Books) in upper NYC.

40. Buce
    at 9:31 pm on May 11, 2009

Just added The Bookstore (sic) at Chico Ca.

41. Anonymous
    at 7:57 pm on June 15, 2009

I revisited the map after Max noted it had 500,000 visitors as of today, and found several places that I'd marked had disappeared. No idea why except for possibly one case: Jackson Street Books in Athens, Georgia, was gone but a new tag placed a few blocks from JSB advertised a store that won't open until 2010 — and has no actual storefront! I've added JSB back again, but now it's eclipsed by the marker of the other, unless you zoom in real close. I have no business connections with JSB beyond being a long-time customer, but if JSB disappears again, you may see dueling marker flags!

42. Anonymous
    at 8:14 pm on June 15, 2009

CORRECTION to entry about JSB. Other entries had been deleted from the map for unknown reasons, but JSB had been hidden behind a newer nearby marker. I simply didn't zoom in close enough to see it. My error!

43. Anonymous
    at 8:06 am on June 17, 2009

Just added The Book Eddy in Knoxville, TN.

at 8:28 pm on August 9, 2009

Added Lapland Bookshop & Arts in Marshall, NC — 30 min NW of Asheville. A beautiful storybook cottage by the river, filled with used and new books, hand crafts, cards, CD's, local interest, community-centered events, and more. Opened May 2009!

45. redliner
    at 3:26 pm on October 8, 2009

Hi there, it seems that the collaboration option has been disabled for this map. I don’t see an Edit button any more when I open it. Is that on purpose? Thanks.

46. a
    at 7:14 am on August 10, 2010

The Shakespeare & Co. stores are missing:

47. oblongirl
    at 10:55 am on August 11, 2010

Thanks for doing this! When you get a chance, please add Oblong Books & Music in Rhinebeck, NY and Millerton, NY.