Millions contributor Garth takes a “Second Glance” at Helen DeWitt’s The Last Samurai in the most recent installment of Open Letters Monthly. The Last Samurai landed on Garth’s “Year in Reading” list last year.
C. Max Magee created and edits The Millions. He is co-editor of the collection of essays The Late American Novel: Writers on the Future of Books, called "funny, poignant, relentlessly thought-provoking" by The Atlantic. He and his family live in New Jersey. If you'd like to correspond, please don't hesitate to email.
More From Quick Hits
- What Is It About Hibbing? October 17, 2016
- Renegade Political Fiction: ‘The Revolutionaries Try Again’ September 28, 2016
- Exclusive First Look: Claire Cameron’s ‘The Last Neanderthal’ September 26, 2016
- What We’re Reading September 9, 2016
- Airplane Reading August 19, 2016
- View All
Other Recent Articles
- Pressing Closer: On Brit Bennett’s ‘The Mothers’ October 25, 2016
- What Is It About Baseball? W.P. Kinsella, José Fernández, and the Dust of the 2016 Season October 24, 2016
- Running in the Wake October 24, 2016
- Hollywood English Class: On Margaret Atwood’s ‘Hag-Seed’ October 21, 2016
- Henry James for Every Day of the Year October 21, 2016
- View All
- Elizabeth Fisher says "So sad of a commentary- You should see high school Libraries. Mine is meeting the needs of our students and I work hard to..."The Library Is Dead. Long Live the Library!
- Moe Murph says "@MarkHG Point well made, MarkHG."A Very Special Millions Correction
- priskill says "This almost makes me want to both Run and Read FW — 2 things I have never done — lovely and inspiring piece."Running in the Wake
- Will says "In my late 50’s now, having read Ulysses for the first time a couple years ago, having listened to my first audio books in the last year, and being a..."Running in the Wake
- Mrs. Millions says "This is beautiful, Derek :)."Running in the Wake