Ed Champion has a nemesis, Time magazine book reviewer Lev Grossman, as we discover in Grossman’s latest column. Though somewhat tongue in cheek, Grossman is basically asking bloggers to use their power for good. All in all, it’s far more civilized than Steve Almond’s pathetic attempted takedown of Mark Sarvas in Salon from a year ago, which read like a laundry list of Almond’s insecurities. Grossman’s essay and Ed’s response make it clear that Grossman is an altogether more pleasant person than Almond and that the relationship between book bloggers and the literati has matured. As Ed notes in his brief response to Grossman, he (and other book bloggers) are regularly paid to pen book reviews in major newspapers. The lines are blurring. Oh, and I’ve met Ed. He’s not that scary.
C. Max Magee created and edits The Millions. He is co-editor of the collection of essays The Late American Novel: Writers on the Future of Books, called "funny, poignant, relentlessly thought-provoking" by The Atlantic. He has appeared on NPR’s “Weekend Edition”, Minnesota Public Radio’s “Midmorning”, and ABC Radio National's "The Book Show" and has written for a number of publications. He and his family live in New Jersey. If you'd like to correspond, please don't hesitate to email.
More From From the Newsstand
- Breaking the Mold: Can Jeff Bezos Save the Washington Post? August 7, 2013
- Proving a Villain: The Search for Richard III March 6, 2013
- The Camaraderie of the Underrated: JC Gabel Relaunches The Chicagoan March 27, 2012
- Copyrights Wake: SOPA, James Joyce, and the Future of Intellectual Property January 25, 2012
- Orhan Pamuk’s Unlikely New Role January 9, 2012
- View All
Other Recent Articles
- A Year in Reading: Charlie Jane Anders (io9) December 9, 2013
- A Year in Reading: Edwidge Danticat December 9, 2013
- A Year in Reading: Khaled Hosseini December 9, 2013
- A Year in Reading: Aleksandar Hemon December 8, 2013
- A Year in Reading: Anne K. Yoder December 8, 2013
- View All
- Rich H. says "Great piece, Lydia! I re-read your thesis on Hodgson this year in preparation for comps. It was just as good the second time around. Hope all is..."A Year in Reading: Lydia Kiesling
- Moe Murph (AKA "The Toast" Fan No. 1) says "From Mr. O’Connell’s article: “I saw a keen absurdity in these barons of techno-capital, with their..."Should We Even Publish This?
- languagehat says "How annoying! Thanks for the explanation, and I wish Amazon/Kindle would have the sense to strip it out when they’re..."A Year in Reading: Stephen Dodson (Languagehat)
- Kerry says "The ideal introduction to Fowler’s dazzling, humane, and heartbreaking achievement. Many thanks."A Year in Reading: Khaled Hosseini
- Edan Lepucki says "No, it’s plane as in a horizontal plane… But thanks for asking! I checked to make sure. "A Year in Reading: Edan Lepucki