Prizes

Booker Prize Longlist 2006

By posted at 2:35 pm on August 14, 2006 6

The Booker Prize longlist has arrived. I’ll do another post with some articles analyzing the list once the pundits across the pond have weighed in.

covercovercovercovercovercovercovercovercovercovercovercovercovercovercovercovercovercovercover

6 Responses to “Booker Prize Longlist 2006”

1. LK
    at 4:51 pm on August 14, 2006

Any of these you would particularly recommend?

2. Max
    at 4:58 pm on August 14, 2006

I haven't read any of them, yet, but if I were going to chose two to start it would be Black Swan Green (which is sitting on my "to be read" shelf) and Seven Lies because I loved James Lasdun's book, The Horned Man. I'd love to hear any informed opinions, though.

3. Jenny Davidson
    at 5:50 pm on August 14, 2006

I thought Lasdun's was brilliantly good; Lasdun and Mitchell are the only 2 I've read. The two I'm most excited about reading next are Claire Messud and Sarah Waters; both on all accounts very good but the advance buzz on Messud is particularly enthusiastic.

4. Julia
    at 6:19 pm on August 14, 2006

I have read and enjoyed Black Swan Green, and The Secret River is in my to-be-read pile.

5. JohnFox
    at 2:26 pm on August 15, 2006

I loved David Mitchell's Cloud Atlas, so Black Swan Green is on my list to read even though I hear it's completely different.

Everyone loves Peter Carey except for me – I don't hate him, I just find him pretty good, not great.

And yes, Mitchell did get robbed for the Booker with Cloud Atlas.

6. Mike B.
    at 12:48 pm on August 18, 2006

MacGregor's If Nobody Speaks of Remarkable Things was one of the best books I read last year. I will certainly read his latest. And I'm reading Waters's Fingersmith now and can't wait to begin Night Watch