Books as Objects

By posted at 8:10 pm on May 4, 2006 6

In January I posted scans of a bunch of fantastic new editions of classic books from Penguin with covers designed by famous comic book artists. I’d heard that another batch was on the way, and I finally got my hands on the images so here they are. They come out this fall:

Ryunosuke Akutagawa Thomas Ott
Rashomon and Seventeen Other Stories by Ryunosuke Akutagawa, Cover by Yoshihiro Tatsumi We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson, Cover by Thomas Ott

Jason Chester Brown
The Dharma Bums by Jack Kerouac, Cover by Jason Lady Chatterley’s Lover by D.H. Lawrence, Cover by Chester Brown

Frank Miller Tomer Hanuka
Gravity’s Rainbow by Thomas Pynchon, Cover by Frank Miller Philosophy in the Boudoir by Marquis de Sade, Cover by Tomer Hanuka

See the full-size pictures here

Some other notes: I first saw some of these covers posted at the Fantagraphics blog. Tomer Hanuka has a really cool post about designing his cover at his blog Tropical Toxic.

6 Responses to “New Penguin Classics Deluxe Editions – Akutagawa, Ott, Jason, Brown, Miller, Hanuka”

1. Justin
    at 7:20 am on May 5, 2006

I don't think The Dharma Buns is Seth – looks more like Woodring…

2. Max
    at 7:31 am on May 5, 2006

According to Penguin, it's Seth, but I'll change it if it turns out its not him.

3. CRwM
    at 8:04 am on May 5, 2006

I believe the The Portable Dorothy Parker has a cover by Seth and fellow one-name-only artist Jason created the Dharma Bums cover.

4. Max
    at 8:50 am on May 5, 2006

crwm was right. I just got confirmation that the Dharma Bums cover is by Jason. I didn't think that cover looked like Seth.

Looks like Penguin got it wrong in their catalog. Oops!

5. Walker
    at 7:37 am on May 8, 2006

Gosh, that Lady Chatterley may be incongruous, but it magnifies the chasm between two periods and two styles of narration so well that it sort of works.

6. Anonymous
    at 2:15 pm on June 27, 2006

Are there any differences between the versions? I noticed there's a twenty page discrepancy between the recent version and this D.E.